Chapter 79

If you like this story, leave a star and comment! More love = more chapters!

~*Ω*~

"I don't know what the heck is happening anymore. I feel so left out." Jesse laughed in a joking manner as he scribbled on his papers. "She seemed so out of it yesterday and then this morning, she looked fine. Then, I see her in fourth period, and she's super quiet but practically beaming."

"Did it have to do with Lukas?" said the person across from him, tapping the table with her fingers and listening carefully to Jesse's story.

"I don't know, but probably. He might have come to school today. Petra, have you talked with her lately?"

"No," the redhead shook her head, "I haven't. But I'm glad to know she at least... looks better? Feels better? I don't know, either one."

He smiled, looking at her with soft eyes. "Well, I'm glad you are, too."

Petra's breath caught on itself and she looked back at him with surprise. "Uh, thank you, Jace. That's... nice to know."

"Actually, while we're on the topic, I wanna tell you some stuff. I couldn't tell you this while you were in quarantine and I want to let you know how I felt during it all." He stopped and turned to her. "Do you mind if I talk about it?"

She shook her head. "No, go ahead."

"Okay. Well, when I found out you were in the Witherstorm, I kind of... freaked out. You had sent a message to us in the Storm of Jess and I panicked because you're one of my best friends and Jess is my sister. I had so much guilt about that and when you guys took me to the hospital, I couldn't help but want to just hug you really tightly every time I saw you. And, well, you said something about how I acted as if we were a thing while you were still memory wiped and I realized that I care about you a lot. More than I do for some others."

"Wait, Jesse, are you going to say what I think you're going to say?"

"Maybe. I just want to say that I think about you more than myself. If it weren't for the Witherstorm, well... I might have never admitted this. I... I really like you. I don't want to say the other words in case you don't feel comfortable but I do. You're a wonderful person and you're so kind, trustworthy, even admiringly stubborn." Jesse laughed to himself. "I don't know if you see this in yourself, considering you've always tried to keep your life private, but I've seen it, and I want to let you know that if you weren't you, I probably would have never made the better choices I've done. You've really made my life better, ever since elementary, and I think it's time I let you know how I felt."

Petra sat there, face flushed bright red, staring at Jesse. She was probably in shock. He had expected that, but maybe he didn't have to put that much on her. Her mouth twitched as she tried to say something but nothing would come out.

"Petra?" He leaned in a little bit, actually somewhat concerned at how long she had been frozen.

"Jesse, I- I- I don't know what to say, I mean, I always hoped that, you know, you thought the same about me, but now that you've actually said it, I don't know what to do, and..." Unable to talk anymore, she simply shrugged and blew air out from between her teeth as she flailed her arms at him.

Silence. Then there was laughter as Jesse broke out, holding his stomach and gripping the table. "P-Petra, I'm so glad."

"Don't- Don't laugh at me!"

"I'm sorry, I just didn't expect that last part...!"

"You jerk!" She punched his shoulder and he continued to laugh while holding his arm.

As he calmed down, wiping the tears from his face, he grinned to her and held her hand. "Wanna go on a date?"

~*Ω*~

A short, wholesome chapter to relax from all the craziness I left in the wake of the Witherstorm.