We Can't Be Friends

Song: We Can't Be Friends

Artist: Deborah Cox   

Keith's foot tapped against the wooden floor as he smiled at his best friend kissing his bride. Keith wanted to be happy for the couple but his mind was occupied by other things. Cheers filled the church as the newlywed walked down the aisle. Keith filed behind the groom and grabbed the Maid of Honor's hand. It was his ex, Y/N.

Y/N felt the sparked when he touched his hand so she quickly released and continued to look straight ahead. She wouldn't allow herself to cry at her best friend's wedding so she painted a smile on her face as she continued to walk.

-

The reception was lively as Y/N walked around the place greeting people and engaging in conversation. She had a genuine smile on her face until she heard a voice she knew all too well.

"Y/N! Baby, don't you look beautiful?" Keith's mom spoke happily. Even though she was upset that her son and Y/N had parted ways after 6 years, she still considered Y/N as a daughter.

"Thank you, Mrs. Powers." she weakly smiled and began to walk away until Mrs. Powers spoke again.

"You're welcome baby. You know, you don't have to be so formal to me. We're still family. Now come give me a hug." Y/N awkwardly walked over to the women and hugged her tightly.

Keith watched from the corner of his eyes as his mother embraced Y/N into a tight hug and rocked her from side to side. He didn't understand why his mother was still all over Y/N. They broke up two months ago.

Y/N felt eyes on her as she pulled away from Keith's mother. It was Keith. His jaw was clenched and his eyebrows were furrowed.

He watched Y/N walk over to him, never taking his eyes off of her. When she finally reached him, both of their heart rate quicken.

Keith's mouth was agape as he leaned down to kiss her soft lips.

Y/N turned her head away and whispered, "...No." as she fought back the tears.

"I know we both agree to end things but I didn't think it would be this hard to be friends especially when everybody is throwing it in our face. This should be our wedding day. I should be saying I do to the man of my dreams, the love of my life. I'm still in love with you but we're bad for each other.

"Y/N..." Keith spoke softly.

Y/N held her hand up. "I'm not finished. I thought I could do this shit but I can't be friends with you so delete everything. Leave the past in the past." Y/N looked at Keith one more time before turning around and walking out of reception.