Kaleidoscope

©Juan Sarte IG

Maine had to force him out the door, kung hindi lang maaga ang punta nila sa kabilang island, di pa sya aalis. Ang daldal porke't busog na busog! While at the door, he turned to look at her to smile.

"Thank you for tonight, Maine. For feeding me and keeping me company. I hope this is just a first of many."

"Anytime, I have a soft spot for hungry neighbors, apparently."

"Good, lagi pa naman akong gutom."

"Hahaha! Tulog na tayo, maaga pa tayo bukas."

"Is that an invitation? Hahaha! Ok, goodnight!" He pulled her to a hug and kissed her forehead, as if it's the most natural thing to do.

He went to his villa with a skip in his step, his heart happy.

/////

Promptly at 6am, he knocked on Maine's door. He's wearing a rash guard and surf shorts. He was looking out to the sea when she unlocked her door.

His breath caught at the sight of her. Hair in a messy bun again, she's wearing an old, oversized baseball shirt.

"Good morning!"

"Hey, good morning! He beamed.

"You're early, di pa ko ready. Come in, join me for breakfast!"

Yeehhheeesss!!!

"How do you like your eggs?"

Does she know about my blue balls??? Focus ka nga, she's not talking about your balls!! Sheez!

"Umm, sunny side up!" He said after clearing his throat.

After breakfast, Maine disappeared inside her bedroom so he explored her livingroom. He saw a picture of her & probably her mom, they look almost like identical twins, except that Maine is taller & obviously younger.

There were a lot of citations in her name & he learned that she has a degree in Marine Biology and a Masters degree in Development Communication. Wow! She was a celebrated swimmer during her college days.

The citations come from international NGOs, Greenpeace, World Wildlife Fund, Forest Stewardship Council and the like. He's busy reading everything about her that he didn't notice her come out of her bedroom.

"My mom kept all of those, I call it her Maine altar. This was where she lived before she passed."

"I'm so sorry to hear that."

She just shrugged and went to the fridge to get bottles of water which she packed in her bag.

"Ready?"

They rode a motorized bangka to the island. They could've taken the jet-ski but since Maine brought some arts& crafts supplies for the kids, they had to opt for the bangka.

She's well-loved by the community, she hugged everyone and the kids gave loud yelps of happiness and swarmed her like bees. They went into a small roofed nipa structure by the beach, no walls. His uninterrupted view of the white sandy beach is just breathtaking. Ang ganda dito!

Maine began her class with a song & dance. She's so good with kids, she holds their attention & interest. She genuinely loves spending time with them that she's practically glowing.

Then it's time for his talk, as Maine was introducing him, all the kids chorused, "Uuuuuyyy, Ms Maine!!!!"

"Hahaha! Mga loko kayo, this is Architect Richard Faulkerson. Alam nyo ba anong ginagawa ng mga architects?"

"Hindi po!" They chorused again.

"Ms. Maine, nobyo nyo po ba sya?" one voice softly asked.

"Ah, hindi po!"

"Asawa po?" Another one queried.

"Hahaha, jusko! Kaibigan ko sya, kaya sya nandito para ikwento sa inyo ano ang ginagawa niya."

She signalled Alden to come up front and the class clapped for him. He began his talk about why he became an architect, he said he wanted to create beautiful things. He explained the pros & cons of his job & encouraged everyone to follow their dreams and to focus on learning everyday.

After assisting Maine with the arts & crafts class, they were told that lunch is ready. Maine pulled him to the side and whispered,

"Ok ka lang? Pagod ka na ba?"

"Ok lang, I'm enjoying myself, actually."

"Umm, picky ka ba sa food kasi usually puro seafoods ang handa nila. Wala ka namang allergy or something?"

"Don't worry about me, and hindi ako picky." He smiled, he just loves how attentive & thoughtful she is. Well, ganon naman kasi she brought him here pero, wala eh, nakakakilig lang.

During lunch, he learned that Maine also taught the fishermen how to fish without harming the environment & the aquatic resources. She holds trainings for them until BFAR heard of it and tapped her to continue doing what she started to other fishing communities.

She's a well-known environmental activist and blogger under her pseudonym Malaya. They spent the afternoon with the elders. All singing their praises about all her works around the area. What an amazing woman she is! She found her purpose & accomplished so much at her age.

Maine invited him to explore the island and brought him to a secluded cove with the whitest powdery sand he's ever seen. The quiet and secluded spot gave you a feeling as if they were alone in the place.

Maine took off her cover up to reveal her white bikini underneath. The contrast of the caramel of her skin against the white of her bikini is just mind-blowing.

Di naman nya first time makakita ng babae in this state of undress but damn! Kulang na lang maglaway sya at the sight of her! What the fuck is happening to me?

"Alden..Alden..? Hey, eyes up!"

"Sorry, yung ano mo kasi!" He didn't realize he was staring at her belly chain again and got mesmerized.

"Yung ano ko?" She chuckled.

"Yang, anong tawag mo dyan sa may tyan mo?"

"My belly chain? Or my navel ring? Andito kasi sa taas mga maya ko, I'd like it more if you look at me when I talk to you."

"It's distracting.."

"What is?"

"You are distracting me. I lose focus just like that." He snapped his finger for emphasis. His voice lowered sexily.

"Come, let's swim. It'll cool you down." She laughed.

Yes, I need the water to cover my erection. I don't want to be known as the 'walking hard-on' in this parts.