Respite

"Maine.. Maine!"

"Umm, sir, I'm sorry, we may need to continue this meeting some other time. Maine is not well, I think I have to take her to a hospital."
Nina told the client they're meeting, as she looks at Maine with concern.

Nina met with Maine at the resort's lobby, she went back to her villa to get ready for the meeting. She's her usual morose self but Nina did notice her red blotchy eyes which her make-up failed to hide.

During their meeting with a client, Maine was unable to respond or even acknowledge questions thrown at her. She just sat there quietly and stared at nothing. Her blank stare made Nina very worried. That's when Nina realized something is really wrong. So she excused themselves and re-set the meeting.

"Maine, tell me what's wrong, hon? You're making me nervous. Please talk to me."

She had to help Maine walk out to her car. Once inside, she shook Maine just to make her snap out of her daze. As if woken up from sleep, she turned to Nina, as if she just saw her for the first time, then began sobbing uncontrollably.

"Puta, dadalhin na kita sa ospital! Ano bang nangyayari sa yo?!! Pull yourself together!"

"I did it Nina, I've hurt him!" Loudly sobbing now.

"Sige, i-iyak mo lang yan, you'll feel a lot better after a good cry. After mong umiyak, your mind will clear a bit then we'll plan ano ang gagawin natin, ok? I'm here, a lot of people who love you are here, Maine. Andito kami for you, ok?"

Nina feels the hot tears pricking her eyes as she sees how much Maine is suffering right now. She knew she went to see Alden this morning, and based from Maine's countenance, it didn't go well.

Her friend is very good at hiding & bottling up her emotions, her pain, as long as she can remember. She's always in control & she stays away from anything she can't control. Kaya eto, sumasabog na.

"I don't deserve him, but I've warned him, paulit ulit, ayaw nyang makinig. Ayokong nasasaktan sya, Nina. What do I do to take his pain away?"

"You're already doing it. Just love him, Maine. Without reservation. Love him like you're not afraid of anything. We both know he deserves it."

Maine leaned back in her seat, closing her eyes, still whimpering. Nina sighed, started the car and decided to bring her to Nana's house. Kung di sya papayag, idederecho nya 'to sa ospital. Yun lang ang choices.

They were both quiet as Nina cruised the road, Maine is looking out her window, finally calm but still pensive. Then she heard Nina gasp & swear loudly. She quickly pulled over at the curb.

She turned towards the direction where Nina is looking at. It looks like another vehicular accident. There are people crowding the other side of the street. As they cleared, she clearly saw Alden's SUV, its front totaled when it hit a tree. Its door on the driver's side is open, but no Alden.

Her breath caught. She looked at Nina who's saying something to her but she can't hear anything.  Everything is moving so slowly. She can see all these people but it feels like she's underwater. Unable to hear them.

"MAINE! MAINE!!! Ay putang ina!! Shet!!! Stay in the car, ok?"

Then Nina scrambled out to go and talk to some of the people in the crowd. She hurriedly went back to the car, obviously shaken.