Unconditional

© WM

His eyes fluttered open, his lids heavy.  He tried to focus but all he sees are white, bright.. everything. And that nagging beeping sound!!! Ugh!

Then his lid is unceremoniously pried open, one after the other, a small beam of a flashlight  is shone directly to his eyes. Aray! Teka lang naman!!!

Then he heard the voices, urgent voices asking him if he can hear them. Asking him to move his eyes to the left then right. Asking him to squeeze a hand. Ang gaspang! Asan si Maine? That was his last memory, he was holding her soft, warm hands.

"Maine?" He asked weakly.

Then he heard a whoop of triumph! Ah baka nanonood sila ng basketball. Ang ingay nyo ah! Then as he focused, he saw his mom, then his dad talking to him, but he couldn't make out the words. He's still so sleepy. So he shut his eyes again.

His mom panicked, nearly hysterical again but the doctor assured her they have him back. His vitals are normal and he was able to follow instructions. He's just groggy because of the meds still in his system.

While his parents are talking quietly in a corner, they heard his voice again.

"Ma?"

"RJ, anak, how are you feeling?" His mom rushed to his side. Clasping his hands, then began sobbing softly.

"Please don't cry, mom."

His mom is too overwhelmed to say anything, tears still falling continuously. His dad also clasped his hand tight. And for the first time, he noticed his father's blotchy, red eyes!

"Dad! I'm okay, honest! Just sore but I feel perfectly fine."

"That's good to hear, RJ! We are so happy to have you back."

"Where's Maine?"

His parents exchanged glances, making him uncomfortable. Then his dad left to find the doctor. Then his mother went after him, after giving his hand a squeeze. He can hear them talking in hushed tones. Is there something wrong?

He feels lethargic. Eyes fluttering shut again. He'll just take a nap, Maine will be here once he wakes up. He knows she's here. He can feel her nearby.

After a while..

"Mom?"

"Hi, babe, feeling better?" His mom went to his bed.

"Tired."

"The doctor said the meds will make you feel groggy but they're weaning you out of it. You need painkillers still & it makes you sleepy."

"Si Maine? Ba't wala siya dito?"

Just then, the doctor walked in.

"Hello, RJ! I'm Dr. Rivera, how are you feeling today?"

"I'm fine, I think."

"Your test results look pretty good, you're healing nicely. You'll be as good as new in no time."

"He's asking for her, Doc." He heard his mom tell the doctor.