Visitation

Just like in the movies, she watched as her father is wheeled into the operating room. As soon as the doors closed, her breaths came in gulps, she can't seem to control her body as it's being racked by sobs. She hurriedly ran back to the room to try to compose herself.

She showed a brave front to everyone, to Alden most especially & even successfully convinced herself that she's not scared to death. But she is! She kept telling herself that the cruel fate given to her parents will not happen to her & her father.

Her heart feels so heavy, she's been trying so hard not to breakdown in front of her dad. She was debating with herself earlier whether to beg her father not to proceed with the angioplasty for fear she might lose him.

Not doing the procedure will at least buy them some time to spend with each other. But how much time will they have since her dad is practically a ticking bomb? Alone in the room she finally let go and sobbed loudly, she cried like she never cried before.

For her parents' broken hearts, for the loss of her mother, for her fears, for everything that kept her & her parents apart. Oh God, please help me, please don't take my dad from me. Make this procedure successful so I may have more time with him.

She never prayed this hard, kulang na lang pumunta sya sa langit para katukin ang Diyos para pagbigyan sya. To crawl at His feet to beg.
She suddenly stood up and went to the chapel she passed by earlier. It's deserted, thankfully.

She continued praying and eventually she felt comforted by her prayers. She went back to the room feeling exhausted from all the crying she did. She slumped on the couch and continued praying.

/////

Alden found her sleeping on the couch inside her dad's room. He's surprised to see tear tracks on her face, he gently wipes them off and knelt beside the couch.

He nuzzled her neck, inhaling her heady scent. He rained kisses on her nose, her cheeks until she woke up.

"Hey, sorry I didn't get back sooner. I was on a conference call with the team in Batangas. Kumain ka na ba?"

The relief she felt upon hearing his voice and feeling his warmth felt like a balm to her weary soul. She just hugged him really tight.

"Babe, have you been crying? I told you to call me if there's anything you need."

"I'm just glad you're here. Please just stay with me."

"Ikaw kasi eh, pinaalis mo pa ako.."

"Nag usap kami ni dad, heart to heart. I'm glad we talked, andami namin napag-usapan. I'm happy we had that time to ourselves, kaya it's all good."

"Then why are you crying?"

"Wala yon, nagmuni-muni lang. It's nothing, trust me. I went to the chapel to pray and it's all better now."

They went down to the lobby so Maine can get a bite to eat. His parents joined them for coffee.

"The doctor said everything is going well. They are just taking longer because they are adding more stents. But they assured us he's out of the woods now."

"I should've been there.." Maine said worriedly.

"No, Maine, you should eat. Your dad needs you and you won't be able to take care of him if you're sick yourself." Alden's mom rebutted.

"RJ, I'll cover for you at the office, will just reach out if you're needed. I want you to stay here with Maine, don't leave her side."

"Ok, dad."

"Thank you po."

"Pahinga na muna kayo, this will take awhile."

/////

Maine woke up with a start. She's comfortably lying on Alden's chest, her legs propped up the couch.

"Babe, your dad is now in the recovery room. He will be brought here in a few minutes."

"Matagal ba ako natulog? Sana ginising mo ako."

"Hindi bawal magpahinga, Maine, relax, all is good."

/////

"Hey dad, how are you feeling?" She asked as she looks down at her dad who lays flat on the bed after he's wheeled inside the room.

"Sore & thirsty." He said softly.

"The nurse will be back for your water. Relax ka lang, in a little while we can adjust your bed so you'll be in a more comfortable position."

"What time is it?"

"It's after 7 in the evening. The doctor said you can eat around 9. Kaya pa?"

"Yes, uhhm, Maine?"

"Yes, dad?"

"I think I saw her.. your mom.."

"What?"

"I'm not sure if I dreamt of her but I was in this maze, I was trying to find my way out then suddenly there's this really bright, blinding light..it was so peaceful and dreamy. But then I saw Anna, she was smiling at me so I tried to go near her, she took my hand instead and led me to a door. She opened it and motioned for me to get through, when I did, I was expecting her to follow me but she didn't. She just shook her head sadly & then she pulled me in for a hug. I didn't want that moment to end but then when I opened my eyes she's gone & I'm in the maze again."

Maine saw a tear trickle down his face so she wiped it dry.

"I'ts okay, dad. She knows I need you more. And she wants us to be together. In time, we will all be together, how it was supposed to be."

"I think she knows I wanted to be with her, but I also need to be with you. So she made the decision for both of us. She wants me to stay with you."

"I'm glad. Someday we will get all our answers, dad."

"She's still so beautiful.. and she told me to tell you she's sorry."

Maine frowned her confusion. Why would she apologize to her? Maybe it's time for a visit to mom's grave site for another talk. She always feels comforted when she talks to her mom, freely now since her death. It's sad that she's able to be open up to her mom now that she's 6 feet under.

Maine decided to stay overnight so she can watch her dad. Alden volunteered to stay with her. Her dad protested, he wants both of them to have a good night's sleep but Maine is not hearing it. She's staying.

She slept on the recliner while Alden slept on the couch. Her dad smiled as he watches them sleep. Despite their uncomfortable sleeping positions, they still managed to hold hands. Maine hugging Alden's hand to her heart.

He's comforted by the fact that his daughter will get her happy ever after even if he didn't.