Epiphany

Note:
Just a friendly reminder, the italicized words are Alden's thoughts, therefore siya lang nakakaalam nito. Yung may quotes po ( " ) yun ang mga sinasabi ng characters sa isa't isa. 😊

She stirred in bed, wondering what woke her up. She realized Alden is not in bed with her any longer when she reached for him. Making her sit up in hastily.

"Kayo lang ba andyan? Pano nangyari yon?" She heard Alden's curt voice. She stood up and went to him, realizing something is wrong. He looked up at her guiltily.

"Ok, ok.. pupunta ako dyan. Ingat kayo, bye!" He ended the call and stood up. "Shit! I'm so sorry, was I too loud?"

"No naman, nagising lang ako kasi wala ka." She said softly.

Alden gathered her in his arms, rubbing her back and kissing her forehead.

"Sorry about that but I need to leave."

"Why?"

"Something's up at the construction site. Nanggugulo daw ang mga farmers, I need to be there."

"What??? Imposibleng manggugulo sila, I know most of them. Do you want me to come with you?"

"No, sleep ka na lang muna maaga pa masyado. And it's not safe there."

"Alden, I told you I know these people, baka I can talk some sense into them."

He fixed her hair away from her face and made her look at him. He spoke gently but firmly.

"Maine, listen to me. I'm not sure kung ano dadatnan ko doon. My people said they're threatening and violent. I don't want you anywhere near that place right now."

"Pero ikaw pupunta? If they're violent then you shouldn't go, too."

"Baby, please! I need to be there. Just stay here, I promise I'll keep you posted."

She sighed heavily, kahit kinilg sya sa 'baby', she's not sure whether it's her mild hang-over or the fact that she lacks sleep is what's making her worry too much. She acquiesced but continued to rest her head on his chest, arms tightening around him.

He kissed her forehead then her lips.

"I'll call, I will be back before you know it."

He left hastily. She made some calls.

/////

A little past 9 in the morning and still no call from Alden. He texted her a few minutes after 7am that he's at the construction site already.

She can't wait any longer, she's been pacing the floor of the villa & now, her office. Asan na kasi? Ba't di sya nagtetext??? Aaaarrrgghh!

She sent several texts messages, to which she got no reply.

"Alden, please call me, I have important information."

"Alden!!! Why are you not picking up?"

"That's it!!! Punta ako dyan!"

When she arrived at the site, she saw a number of policemen in the area. There were 2 ambulances about to leave. Oh no! There's a sense of confusion and disorder. She parked her car and hurriedly made her way inside to look for Alden.