D-day

© to the owner

Last few chapters..

As Maine slept in his arms, he can't help but reflect on the whirlwind weekend they just had. Tomorrow will be a busy day. They are going to pick up Maine's father in the morning to check into the hospital.

He will stay with Maine the whole day, his parents will be there, too. Her grandparents offered to drive into town to be with her. It's better if more familiar people, her people, will be around. But she refused. She didn't want to impose, that's how she is.

She told him all she needs is him and she's all good! Kilig tagos hanggang kaluluwa niya.

As he's staring down at her peaceful face, deep in sleep, he can't help but sigh. His heart almost bursting with so much love. You're all I need, Maine. Kissing her nose and tightening his embrace. He didn't have the heart to rouse her. It's better she's well-rested so she'll be ready to face everything tomorrow.

//////

Maine's dad was out of the hospital room most times due to laboratory tests, pre-op procedure. Since nothing's happening yet, she asked Alden to go to the office para di sayang ang time. He refused at first but Maine said she'll need him more during her dad's recovery. Her dad found her alone in the room.

"Are you feeling ok?" She quickly asked her dad, after seeing him exhausted.

"I hate hospitals!"

"You & me both. You'll be out of here in no time." She smiled.

She was fixing his blanket while the hospital attendants helped him to the bed. After they left, her dad asked where Alden was. She told him. Then her dad patted the space on his bed asking her to sit.

"Tell me about your childhood."

"It was uneventful, I spent most times in school and reading."

"When did you start painting?"

"When we came back home, when I was 12. I was born in the States. After we got back, we lived with my grandparents in Batangas. There was nothing else to do & I just felt the urge to paint."

"Did your mother ever talk about me?"

"No, but everytime I ask her about you, she gets so sad & I can hear her cry at night so I stopped asking. She tried dating, probably to give me a father figure growing up, but it never worked out. She never had a second date with anyone."

"How was your relationship? Were you close?"

"Not as much as I want to. She kept me at arms length. Very strict, especially about boys. She painted them as villains, that they are not to be trusted. I was never insterested in them, anyway. But still, she watched me like a hawk."

"I wish you knew her the way I did. She's very adventurous & loved life. I was this shy boy who got mesmerized by her beauty & courage. She brought me out of my shell. But our relationship was tumultuous. Clash of personalities. I was shy & quiet, while she's outgoing and the life of the party. The one thing that kept us together was our love for each other. It was just magic."

"There was no trace of that side of her when I was growing up. I loved her but she kept to herself most of the time. She's probably scared I'd bug her about you again." She smiled.

"I'm sorry about everything, Maine. I wish I never stopped looking for her."

"It's not your fault. That's probably how it was supposed to be. You know, fate."

"What cruel fate, then." He said sadly.

"Why did Tita Rio say this will be your last exhibit?" She tried to veer away the conversation to lift up his mood.

"I wanted to retire, and I got tired of it because as the years go by, I find it harder to find inspiration to paint. I just wanted to sleep more."

"Did you know I've been saving up for so long to afford one of your paintings? I wanted so much to attend your exhibits pero di ko nata-timingan. And I remember now mama said my paintings look familiar."

"Really? Now you can have all of my paintings. Anything you want." He smiled ruefully.

"It will probably be amazing to paint alongside you. Sorry, my fangirl self keeps popping up."

"We will do that, after this, I'm planning to recuperate in Batangas. To be with you."

"Aaaww, really? That.. that would be really good. I'd like that."

"I'm here to stay, Maine. The reason why I didn't think this procedure is necessary is because I didn't have the motivation to live, until you came along."

"Please don't say that." She reached for his hand.

"Where is she buried?"

"Here in Manila."

"I'd like to visit her one of these days."

"I'll take you there. Now try to rest, you'll need it. In two hours they'll come back to take you in."

He grimaced and squeezed her hand.

"Thank you, for being here and for giving me back my will to live. I am looking forward to be with my grand-kids."

"Hahaha, well, in a few years maybe.."

"I don't think I have to wait long, RJ just looks very ready to settle down."

"We're in no hurry. Now, sleep. Ang daldal mo po." She chuckled.

"Ilang taon din ako tahimik. Bumabawi lang." they shared a laugh. Then Maine leaned forward to kiss his forehead and caressed his cheek fondly.

She stepped out of the room to take Alden's call so as not to disturb her dad's sleep.

"Kumain ka na ba? Sorry I'm taking long, how is he?"

"I'm not hungry, he's asleep but in good spirit. Don't worry about me, do what you have to do."

"You sure you're ok? Call me for anything. Please. I love you."

"Kain ka ha? Baka lumiit burger mo."

"Hahaha, burger pala ha, mamaya ka sa 'kin."

"Can't wait."

They said their goodbyes. She saw the attendants come back to get her dad. She woke him up to tell him it's time. Before he was wheeled out, he reached out to her.

"Maine, I want to be buried beside your mother, in case.."

"Stop it, bibigyan pa kita ng maraming apo, remember?"

"And you can call me dad or papa or whatever you like."

"Dad is just about right!" She smiled down at him, her heart fluttering. She kissed his forehead and said a quick prayer for him.