Desolate

For Mature Audience

© Mark Nicdao

"What do you mean you're not well?"

She's having a hard time catching her breath. Her hands are turning cold and Alden gave it a reassuring squeeze. Silently telling her he's there for her.

"I have a heart condition and I have to undergo this procedure as soon as possible."

"What?? But I just found you! This can't be happening!" Her voice barely above whisper.

"Uhh, if I may..? He was diagnosed last year and refused angioplasty. Buti nga hindi nag worsen ang condition nya. After meeting you, he decided to go ahead and do the procedure to get better." Alden's mom explained to her, looking at her kindly.

"Then why all these talk as if he's dying?" She blurted out.

"It's a medical procedure, anything can happen, I just want everything in order before I go in. Just in case." Her dad added.

"Why would you think that? You have to think positive! That you'll get better!"

"Hay salamat! Sige, Maine, pagalitan mo sya. Matigas talaga ulo nyan, nakuuu!" Alden's mom said.

They banter like siblings, all three of them. They are really close, Alden's parents and her dad. She will be always grateful to Alden's parents for sticking it out with her dad.

"Of course I will, now that I have you.."

"When are you doing the procedure, I want to be here to take care of you."

"Ok, that.. that would mean a lot!" Her dad beamed but still she saw tears well up in his eyes.

"Enzo, we're done with the preparation for your exhibit, we will just add Maine's work. Why don't you do it on Monday? The doctor said you only need to be at the hospital just for 3 days max after the angioplasty." Alden's mom said gently.

"You've held off for a year already, let's get it over with, padre! After your angioplasty, we can plan on having our grandchildren!" His dad egged him.

Her dad was pensive for a time, after a minute passed, he looked at Maine questioningly.

"Let's not waste time and do it, okay? I'm going back to Batangas to get some stuff and to let my grandparents know about this. I will be back before Monday."

"Ok then, let's do this. Para matapos na."

Everyone cheered, Maine & Alden's parents went to hug Enzo, his lawyer patted his shoulder fondly.

All throughout that moment, Alden's eyes never left her. He's amazed at how well she's holding herself together. He's the only one who knows how affected she is by the sudden turn of events, that she might lose her father. The father she longed for all her life and just found. Only to learn he's sick.

She avoids looking at him directly whenever she's not okay. She probably knows he'll see it in her eyes. But still, he knows. Remarkably, he somehow feels what she feels. Weird, I know, but I do! Especially when she looks straight into his eyes, he feels everything!

The lawyer gave her some documents to go over and to give him a call once she's ready to meet. They said their goodbyes to his parents. Alden and Maine brought her dad to his car. She hugged him again and he whispered to her.

"Thank you, Maine. For being here. It means a lot to me."

"You don't need to thank me, I'm happy we have now and the future ahead of us." She smiled and kissed his cheek.