Luminescent

The medical team aboard the air ambulance prepped Alden for the ride to Manila. They gave him a mild sedative to keep his vitals steady.

He refused to let go of Maine's hand, pulling her to join him on the bed. She's mildly embarrassed, while his parents are looking on amusedly. Her dad and the rest of her family are driving to Manila to be with them.

"Maine, kiss pa ulit!" Alden whispered.

"Baby, behave, andyan parents mo, please." She whispered back, kissing his nose.

"Dito ka.." super lambing, groggy voice.

"Di tayo kasya dyan, maiipit ka. Tulog ka muna."

He was quiet, just looking up at her. The bruises on his face, neck & his arms are starting to show. She swallowed a lump in her throat. Then she felt Alden unbuttoning her blouse.

"Babe..!" She whispered, swatting his hands away, chuckling in embarrassment.

"Mukhang balik na sya sa normal." His dad quipped, trying to ease her discomfort. They all laughed.

As soon as they reach the hospital, Alden is carted of to do a series of tests including the much needed CT-scan. Her family arrived from Batangas but Alden is not back in his room yet.
While waiting..

Her dad and Nana approached her. Nana took her hand and kissed it, smiling at her encouragingly.

"Anak, okay ka lang ba? How are you holding up?" Her dad opened.

"I'm okay, dad. Don't worry about me."

"You'll let me know.. if there's anything you need, ok? If you want to rest I can get you a room.."

"Dad, I'm fine. I'm not leaving Alden, I can't leave the hospital."

"Alright." He sighed. Still worriedly looking at her. Nina kept everyone abreast about Maine's troubling state.

"Why are they taking so long?" She asked almost to herself, her distress showing.

"Don't worry, we have the best doctors here, he's in good hands. Just relax." Her dad reached for her cold hands.

Alden was wheeled into the room, his parents went in together with the doctors. Maine gave them some privacy and remained at the lobby with the rest of the visitors and her family. But Alden's father came out to call her.

Alden's awake but still groggy, he smiled at her lazily, somehow having a hard time keeping his eyes open. The doctors said they are still waiting for some of his tests and will be back to share the results.

A few minutes after the doctors left, while everyone was talking quietly, Maine is with Alden's mom, his dad is nearest his bed, talking to her father. They suddenly heard his dad call out in alarm!

"RJ!!!"

Everyone turned to look, Alden is having a seizure, his entire body is shaking uncontrollably, his eyes rolled into his head!

The vital signs monitor is beeping repeatedly. The doctors came rushing in and they were all asked to step out. It was chaos. Maine started to feel numb again, she can't seem to see or hear clearly. After waiting for long, excruciating minutes, the doctors finally came out.

"There's swelling in his brain, we had to put him in a medically induced coma to relieve the swelling. The brain will be able to rest and hopefully his unconscious state will decrease the swelling.'

"But is he going to be okay?" His dad asked the doctor.

"Let's all pray he will pull it through the night."

Maine saw Alden's mom sob into his dad's chest. She quietly made her way to her father.

"Dad, can you find me a priest?" She said calmly, just barely above a whisper.

"Maine? A priest?"

"Get me a priest, dad!" She said a little more loudly this time, breathing heavily.

"Maine, anak, relax, sit down with me." He's a little bit alarmed now after he saw Maine's eyes. It's blank and unfocused.

"No, no, I need a priest now! I want to marry Alden. NOW!!! Please, please get me a priest!" Then she started sobbing.

Her dad tried to hug her but she wriggled out of his grasp, going to Nana to plead with her.

"Nana, priest! Get me a priest!!" She's turning hysterical now. Everyone witnessed how she finally lost it. Everyone was shocked into immobility, even her father. Then she started screaming, thrashing her arms and legs about. They had to restrain her to avoid hurting herself.

Maine can still hear the beep of the vital signs monitor in her head, she just wants it to stop. She's underwater again, somehow, she wants to stay here, it's so quiet and peaceful and cold, so, very cold. She can hear someone give a bloodcurdling scream.. she can feel someone trying to pull her arm, then a prick, and then darkness.

/////

Both their families are inside the hospital chapel. They are all dumbfounded by everything that has happened in the last hour. Alden is fighting for his life while Maine had an emotional breakdown which led the doctors to sedate her to calm her down.

Both sets of parents are beside themselves, begging God to spare their children. The situation is just completely heartbreaking. Each one of them said a prayer for Alden and Maine. The doctor came by to talk to Maine's father, by this time, Alden's mother is inconsolable.

"We can't rouse Maine, she slipped into a coma."

Her father broke down, he can't believe he might be facing another heartbreak again. First, the love of his life just vanished then now, his new-found daughter, the only woman who made his heart whole again, is slipping away and he can't do anything about it.

"Dear God, you know I'll be very happy to take her place, she's still got so much to live for, her life didn't even begin yet. Just take me, strike me down this minute, just please spare Maine and Alden. Please, God!" He pleaded in tears.

After he composed himself, he made his way to Alden's parents, relaying the sad news to them. Then he said,

"I think it's time to call the priest."

/////

It feels like she's floating, her entire body feels light. Even through her closed eyelids, she can feel the glare of the bright light. She tentatively opened her eyes. Looking straight at her is Alden, his face very near her.

"Good morning!" He said quietly, a small smile on his face.

He looks like he's glowing from within. He's so bright & white she had to squint to be able to look at him clearly.

"Are we dead?" She asked incredulously.