Solace

©TTO

As they were packing, Alden got a phone call and he stepped out of the tent to get a better signal. When he came back he said,

"Umm, mom is inviting us for dinner tonight. Your dad is the guest of honor. Are you up to it?"

"Yup, okay." She smiled.

"Are you sure? You look tired."

"You kept me up all night kaya wag kang mag maang-maangan dyan!"

"Hahaha! Sleep ka on our way back. Tapos nap ulit tayo pagdating sa condo."

"Talaga lang ah, nap! Jusko ka!"

"Wushu, kung makareklamo naman po!"

She just threw him a pillow as he laughed heartily.

/////

As they were pulling up at the Faulkerson's driveway, Alden noticed Maine fidgeting in her seat. He looked at her and gave her a reassuring smile while turning the ignition off.

He went around her side to help her out. Maine seemed frozen on the spot she's standing. Hands rubbing down her skirt.

"Do I look okay?" She asked worriedly.

"You look perfect! Stop worrying, babe. I'll be with you the whole night."

"Is my make up okay? Not too much?"

"Baby, you're beautiful inside & out. Your looks won't matter to your dad. The important thing is you're here."

"Umm, I'm not just worried about my dad, your parents.."

"My parents love you. They are desperate to marry me off dahil gusto na nila ng apo. So relax, let's enjoy tonight."

"Ah wait, apo? As in anak mo na apo?"

"Anak natin na apo, yes."

"Ummm, nauutot ako sa nerbyos, let's talk about that some other time, ok?"

"Do you need a moment? Para umutot?" He chuckled.

"Joke lang naman kasi yon, feeling lang ng tyan ko pero di talaga ako uutot. Turn off ba?"

"Ako mate-turn off sa yo? Hello! Kinakain ko nga niluwa mong icecream!"

"Ok you made your point. Kung mag-momol ba tayo, mawawala nerbyos ko?"

"Gusto mo?" His eyes glinted.

"Kaso mabubura naman lipstick ko, naman! Sana kanina mo pa naisip na mag momol tayo eh."

"Hahaha! Baka kasi male-late tayo, nakakahiya naman sa dad mo."

"Hug na lang, yung masarap ah?" She said as she walked into his open arms.

"May hug ba akong hindi masarap?"

"Wala, gusto ko lang mag-effort ka na mas masarap ngayon." She said, inhaling his scent. He kissed her forehead lovingly.

"Tara na baka kung saan pa mapunta itong masarap na hug."

/////

She approached her dad with a wide smile. He looks a lot better than she last saw him. His cheeks are less hollow and there's some color to it. His eyes, it's so much different. They sparkle, especially when he saw her.