Cumulonimbus

Nana peeped through the window when she heard something outside to see Maine's sand buggy parking in front of her house. She quickly washed her hands to get the door to welcome her grand-daughter.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" Nana asked beaming.

"Sobra naman! I visit you every Sunday kaya?!" Maine countered.

"Yes but it's Wednesday today, have you had breakfast? Come, eat!"

"Where's Papa?"

"Andon, not back from his morning walk yet."

"Buti di ka sumama or else wala ka pagdating ko."

"It's time to bottle my jams, kuha ka later ah."

Maine started to eat breakfast, her expression pensive. She kept on sighing, unaware that Nana is closely observing her. She sat down beside her.

"So, how is my lovely apo doing?" She smiled reaching for her hand.

"I'm okay, just tired." Maine answered with a smile, leaning on Nana's shoulder lightly.

"Uy I saw that long-staying guest of yours, ang gwapo pala!"

"Ha? Sino?"

"Really, Maine? How many long-staying guests do you have? And I hear you're spending a lot of time together. Do you like him?"

"Nana..!" She protested.

"Don't act guilty! Masaya ako na you are spending time other people. It's about time, di naman pwede puro work ka lang and Nina."

Maine remained quiet, she's at a loss, her Nana knows her really well and she's scared she'll read through her and see how tormented she is. So she said nothing. But she has no where else to go and she always feels secure in Nana's love & wisdom.

"Don't overthink, Maine. Just enjoy making new friends. Have fun! Take a leap of faith!"

"I'll try, Nana, it's just overwhelming.."

"You should start living your life. Forget about your mom's experiences, you should be making your own. I have faith in you."

"What if..?"

"Stop." Nana turned Maine fully so she can face her, lifted her face so she looks at her in the eye.

"There's no guarantee, Maine. You only give your best, then if it doesn't work out, you move on and try again. That's how it is. Ang importante you tried."

"Eh ba't kayo ni Papa?"

"There's no perfect relationship. We've been through a lot ourselves. Relationships take a lot of work. Both parties work hard to make it work."

Then Nana took her in her arms. Oh my darling, what did we do to you? Your mom thought she was protecting you but all she did was make you scared. Nana thought sadly.

"Ok, I feel better now, I always feel better when I talk to you. Thank you!"

"Andito lang ako, always, my love. Di mo ba sya dadalhin dito?" Nana asked gently, she can't push too hard, Maine has always been secretive and skittish about her emotions.

"Gusto nga po nya eh, inuubos nya kasi lahat ng baon kong food."

"Now, I like him already!"

They said their goodbyes, Maine bringing home tons of food again. She texted Alden early to let him know where she is. The only reply she got is, "I miss you."
Making her smile and feel..giddy!