Chapter 17: Exploration

^Art is not mine^

Simba and Nala walked side by side on a pathway through some tall plains. Kopa walked in front of them, chasing a butterfly. He jumped around and giggled the entire time.

Simba and Nala watched him with admiration, but at the same time they kept a keen eye on their surroundings.

" Haven't heard from Zira in a while. Not since she kidnapped me," Simba told Nala.

" Careful what you say, Simba. Last time you said something like that you were kidnapped," Nala giggled.

Simba shrugged with guilt in his eyes. He still felt humiliated about his kidnapping. Nala noticed this.

" Hey," she nuzzled into him," at least it wasn't Kopa."

Simba had to agree with her. At least Kopa wasn't kidnapped. They soon reached the waterhole and stopped a few feet from the shoreline. Trees and large rocks took place near the shores around the small freshwater lake. Antelopes, giraffes, and other herbivorous animals either rested or waded in the water.

Young animals played and splashed each other, their parents watched them closely. Hippos and crocodiles floated through the water, the top of their heads and backs exposed. When they all saw the King and Queen with Prince Kopa, they all stopped their activities and bowed respectively. Simba and Nala returned the gesture.

Most Pridelandic animals were kind to each other, including the predators. The Circle of Life still required the carnivores to hunt and eat their prey, but besides that, predator and prey usually got along.

Kopa looked out over the crystal-blue water. It was a hot day, and although he hardly knew what this liquid was, it seemed refreshing just to look at it.

Nala looked down at her son, giggling to herself.

" Why don't you go for a swim, Kopa?" She suggested.

Kopa couldn't keep his eyes off the water.

" Swim?" He questioned.

" Oh, yes. Swimming is fun," Simba stated.

Without another word, the King ran down the shore and jumped into the water. He made a large splash that hit Kopa directly. The prince flinched back between Nala's paws.

A few moments later, Simba surfaced. His mane covered his eyes as it dripped with water. A large smile appeared on his muzzle as he faced his family.

" Come on in! The water's great!" He called, floating on his back.

Nala nudged Kopa," Go on, don't be afraid."

Kopa looked back at her with a smirk," Afraid? Ha! I'm not afraid of anything!"

The young prince ran down the shore and jumped in the same way Simba did. A small splash was made. A few seconds later, Kopa found himself surfaced, standing on Simba's submerged back. Kopa's small fur tuft was matted between his eyes. Water dripped from the tip and trailed down his muzzle. He looked ahead of him to meet Simba's gaze. The prince started giggling.

Simba laughed along as he dove underwater. Kopa held onto his back, holding his breath. It seemed magical, being underwater. Simba kicked his legs and moved closer to the lake's floor. Seaweed and corals covered the bottom, buried halfway in sand. Fish and small freshwater sharks stayed clear of the lions.

Nala watched as her mate and son swam together. A few seconds later Simba and Kopa resurfaced and the air was immediately filled with Kopa's laughter.

" Come on, Nala!" Simba motioned his dripping paw.

Nala shook her head as she sat down.

" I'm not a big fan of swimming," she replied.

" Swim with me, Mommy!" Kopa said.

Nala was slightly taken aback by her son's use of the word 'Mommy.' He had never called her that before, which inspired her to get into the water. She smiled warmly as she walked down the shore and waded slowly into the water. Her jaw tightened and she clenched her teeth as the water covered all but her head and back. She kicked gracefully, making her way to her family.

Nala never liked the feeling of her fur being soaked. It was always uncomfortable for her and if she had a choice, she would never swim. That's how much it bothered her. But Kopa was important, and she would do anything for him.

Kopa giggled more as she approached. He switched from Simba's back onto Nala's. Simba swam forward and gently kissed Nala.

" Are you okay?" He could feel her tense jaw through the kiss.

" I'm fine, just don't like swimming," Nala replied calmly.

At that moment, Kopa jumped on her head and pushed it underwater. Nala immediately lifted her head and gasped for air. She had no chance at taking air before being submerged as Kopa did it unexpectedly.

Kopa was pushed onto her back.

" Sorry, Mom," Kopa smiled with guilt.

Nala shook her head of the water best she could. She met Simba's concerned gaze and sighed.

" Let's teach Kopa how to swim," Nala suggested.

Simba nodded. And so began an hour of teaching the unfocused Kopa.