Chapter 33: Mourning

^Art is not mine^

Despite their fight, Imani couldn't help but worry about Zira. It had been six months since Vitani ran away, and Zira was not herself. She was quiet, and spent most of her time in her den. The only times she left was to get water and food. She turned gray in color from staying in the shadows of her den. Sometimes, late at night, Imani could hear Zira's sobs.

The last time Zira acted similar to this was after Scar's death. But it wasn't as bad as this. When Scar died, Zira was angry. But this had no trace of anger. It was only a mother mourning about the loss of her daughter, even if she wasn't dead.

Zira's depressed mood affected the pride more than anything ever had. Tension heavily hung in the air. Everyone was quiet and when Zira left her den occasionally, nobody would get in her way. Imani kept a close eye on her with the help of Nuka, who stayed with his mother in the den.

One evening, Imani entered the den with concern plastered on her face. She found Zira in the back with her head between her paws and tears staining her cheeks. A soft spot in Imani's heart was selfless enough to feel bad for Zira, yet she partly felt that Zira deserved this.

" Zira, this has gone on long enough," Imani stated.

Zira's ears twitched, " It's been six moons."

Her voice was raspy and deep. She spoke out of defeat.

" Exactly," Imani agreed.

" It's been six moons since I lost my daughter," Zira continued, standing up.

Imani took a step back. She could feel anger forming between her and Zira.

" Six moons. This has gone on long enough," Imani repeated.

" Do you know how it feels to lose a child, Imani?"

" I can't say I do."

Zira moved into a sitting position and clenched her jaw. The fact that someone told her to basically stop acting this way was quite irritating.

" Then I feel obligated to tell you that it is not pleasant in the slightest bit, and that I have every right to feel this way however long it lasts. So don't you dare tell me this has 'gone on long enough' when you don't know what it's like," Zira struggled to keep from bursting into tears from both anger and sadness.

Imani shifted her weight. Zira's monotone was uncomfortably stern and calm. Most of the time Imani could tell if Zira was struggling to keep from snapping. This time though, Zira seemed unpredictable in her emotions.

" I thought you hated Vitani," Imani hit a soft spot.

Zira snapped and snarled in Imani's face. Zira's motherly side was in full control, yet her aggressiveness remained the same.

Imani fell to the ground. Zira stood over her and bared her teeth.

" Do not doubt my love for my own daughter!" Zira growled.

" Doubt?! You said it yourself that you hated her!" Imani retorted.

Zira pulled away and sat down. Imani rolled onto her stomach and looked at her frenemy. Zira was looking at the ground with her ears down in despair.

Zira looked just sad enough to make Imani regret what she said.

" She's my daughter. She may not be the child I wanted, but she's still mine. It doesn't matter how much I hate her, there will always be a part of me that mourns over her," Zira explained sadly.

She was referring to her motherly side. Imani could easily see that Zira was not herself, as she was extremely bipolar and sensitive. Tears escaped Zira's eyes, and at that moment she didn't care that Imani was standing there.

Imani suddenly felt compelled to comfort her ex-best friend. She also feared what would happen if she leaned forward to nuzzle Zira. She was known to not take kind to gestures like that.

With much hesitation, Imani stepped forward and nuzzled Zira's soaked cheek. Zira melted at Imani's slightest touch. She burst into tears and leaned into Imani.

Imani was utterly confused, and she would honestly prefer the abusive Zira over the emotional mother one. She was used to that Zira; this one was just unusual.

Imani slightly struggled to hold Zira up, and eventually they lied down next to each other and Zira rested her head in Imani's paws. Before she knew it, Imani's legs were soaked with tears. She could hardly believe that after six months Zira still had the tears to weep, not to mention the heart to mourn. 

Finally after seemingly never ending minutes of crying, Zira's sobs turned into a quiet snore as sleep consumed her. Imani decided it was best if she didn't move, and rested her head on Zira's neck.

Imani's intentions for entering the den didn't exist anymore. She meant to talk some better sense into Zira, and to stop the rollercoaster of emotions that had settled in the Outlands. But instead, Imani ended up comforting the one lion she promised herself she would never be there for again.

And she didn't regret it.