Chapter 52: Torn In Two (Part 2)

Nala was left back at Pride Rock to watch over Imani and her family. Everyone was silent. Fear had filled their souls and anxiety hung in the air. Kiara was with her grandmothers. Nala and Imani's family were on the edge of Pride Rock, where Simba had left them.

Nala was sitting closest to the den, her back facing it. Koman was laying in front of her. Sanura was snuggled up against her father's side. Imani was visibly distressed. She stood at the very edge, frantically looking out over the lands. She squinted and impatiently waited for Simba's return with Kopa and Vitani.

" They should be back by now!" Imani panicked.

Koman looked at her, " Try to relax, my love."

Imani flashed him a cold glare.

" Relax? What if Zira attacked them? I'm going to go help."

Imani turned around to run past Nala and get off of Pride Rock. Nala stopped her with a sharp growl and a sidestep in her way.

" You were ordered to stay here. I'm sure they will all be fine," Nala tried to reassure her, but found that she was reassuring herself more.

" I don't care. I'm going to help them and you can't stop me," Imani growled.

She attempted to step out of the way but Nala moved with her. Imani snarled and pushed the Queen away, giving herself time to escape. She ran down Pride Rock and into the plains. Nala snarled and ordered Koman to stay put. Then, she disappeared into the tall grass behind Imani.

Simba and Zira were still fighting. At times they stopped and circled each other. Blood caked their fur. Neither one refused to back down. They were fueled with anger, and in this moment they had a silent agreement to fight to the death.

Zira, enraged by the sight of her escapee of a daughter, lashed out at Simba, drawing more blood that turned the earth red. The king would strike back, delivering heavy blows and deep gashes that poured blood darker than the red in Zira's sinister eyes.

Vitani and Kopa could only watch as their parents fought in a blood bath. They were frozen in fear, hoping that neither would die. They stared as Zira knocked Simba to the ground in one swift movement.

From this moment, Kopa knew that his father was giving up. He lay beneath Zira. Her eyes were bloodshot with utter fury. Saliva dripped from her lips as she revealed bright, white teeth against her red and black gums. She was ready to finish Simba right here, right now.

The final blow came without warning. The world stopped. Silence suddenly lingered in the air. Zira struggled to open her eyes. The side of her face was throbbing. She lifted her head with extreme effort, and when she looked around to figure out what happened, she found Imani standing over her.

" Imani?" Zira managed to choke out her ex-best friend's name through a raspy voice.

Imani was silent. She only looked at Zira with an angry expression. Nala had caught up to them. She ran over to help Simba to his feet.

Imani's angry glare slowly turned into disappointment, " You're pathetic."

Zira closed her eyes and took in her words. Imani used Zira's insult against her. Zira's head hit the ground. She opened her eyes, looking at nothing. Her energy was drained, she couldn't move. She wasn't far from death, and Imani knew this. She could finish her old friend off right here. But one look at Vitani's scared face kept her from making any mistake.

Imani only spared Zira's life for Vitani's sake. Zira was still her mother, and Vitani loved her once. Zira acted as if she loved and missed Vitani when she was gone, but her actions when her daughter was around proved otherwise.

" Just leave me..." Zira whispered.

Imani turned away and only looked back at Zira one more time before leading everyone back to Pride Rock.