Chapter 47: Rogue Family

For the next week or so, Imani survived on rodents. She was unsuccessful in catching any real prey. She wasn't able to hunt with her healing wounds. Besides, she was afraid to leave Sanura alone.

After about a week and a half alone in the great plains of the Pridelands, Imani was settling down for another night. Sanura was nursing, and Imani found herself looking up at the stars. Her eyes scanned over a constellation of two lions fighting, and the memory of Scar and Simba battling over the throne came to her mind.

For a moment she thought about Simba, and an unfamiliar feeling of admiration came over her. She didn't see Simba as the enemy as the other Outlanders did. She always thought of Simba as a good lion, and as the rightful king. Imani was neutral in the ongoing war between the different prides.

Imani thought about Scar as well, and she suddenly felt angry as the dark-maned lion smiled evilly in her mind. She silently cursed his dead name and wished that he had never existed. If this was so, Zira wouldn't have changed into the lioness she is now.

Imani looked toward the Outlands, thinking back to her cub days. Her and Zira had basically been friends since birth. She remembered back to the Zira before Scar came along. She was a lively cub. Zira was always happy and she made a witty joke whenever she could. She loved to laugh and although she was an obedient cub, she always somehow found herself in trouble.

Eventually, in their teenager years, Zira got herself caught in some trouble that she couldn't get out of. It came in the form of a lion by the name of Taka. In this time, he was changing his royal ways and attempted to convince everyone that his name was now Scar. It was basically love at first sight for Zira, and she began to quickly fall for him.

Imani could remember how she tried to be the voice of reason for Zira. but Zira couldn't help herself. She fell deeper and deeper everyday, and Imani could see her best friend changing. Zira was changing into what Scar wanted, and his image for the perfect lioness was what Zira is now, and Imani was hurt by it.

She felt ultimately betrayed. Zira had forgotten her during her love life with Scar, and only after Scar's death did Zira bond with Imani again. But Zira had changed completely and the damage had already been done. Zira and Imani couldn't be close like they were in their cub years.

After all they had been through, now they were no longer friends. And what's worse is that it ended in a fight. Imani put her head down for the night. She sighed and decided she couldn't lie to herself.

She couldn't say she never cared about Zira.

The next morning came quickly, and Imani was awakened by something wet touching her muzzle. She snapped her eyes open to see yellow eyes looking into her's. She jumped to her feet with a growl, but stopped when she realized who it was.

" Koman! Don't scare me like that!" she shouted.

The brown lion smirked and shook his dark brown mane.

" We haven't seen each other in months and that's what you say?" his voice was light and smooth, and Imani felt safe when she heard it.

She sighed and slowly blinked.

" I am relieved to see you," she confessed.

They nuzzled each other, and Imani felt safer than ever. They purred in each other's comfort. Their moment was interrupted when Sanura started whimpering at Imani's feet.

Koman looked down at Sanura with curiosity. Imani smiled warmly.

" Koman, meet your daughter, Sanura," she purred.

The father went down to his daughter's level and looked at her with fascination. Sanura's eyes reflected Koman's. They shined yellow with the spark of a bond that would last forever.

After a moment, Koman returned his gaze to his mate and frowned.

" What happened?"

Imani looked at him with confusion, " What?"

" You're covered in cuts," he explained.

Imani turned away. She had trouble showing negative emotions. Even if Koman was her mate, Imani was slightly scared of what he might think of her after finding out what happened between her and Zira.

" Imani, please tell me," he begged.

She sighed, " After I had our daughter, I returned to the pride. Zira and I originally had a deal that if I nursed her adopted son, she wouldn't hurt my child. I returned to the pride knowing very well that she wouldn't keep her promise. We got in a fight when she attempted to kill my baby."

" Why did you go back?" Koman asked.

Imani laid down so Sanura could nurse. Koman's question irritated her. It only reminded her how much she hated herself for going back.

" I don't know, alright? I told you about how Zira used to be... I guess a part of me still believes she could change back."

Imani clenched her eyes tightly shut and slowly opened them. Koman could see the pain in her eyes.

" All I know is that I'm no longer in Zira's pride. And that I'm stupid for thinking that she would keep her promise after breaking her first one," she finished and put her head down.

Koman laid behind her, intertwining his tail with hers.

" Everything is going to be okay, my love. I'm going to take care of you and our daughter."

Imani took in his words and stretched out on her side. She put her head in his front paws and sighed deeply.

" I need sleep," she yawned.

" Then go to sleep. I'm not going anywhere."

Imani quickly fell back to sleep while Koman watched over his girls. He was happy to have his family together at last.

Koman- "The Understanding One"