Chapter 48: Shadowland

That night, after Imani woke up, Koman decided to go hunting alone. He knew Imani was malnourished, and now that he was with her, he wanted to help her get better. He stood up and stretched before nuzzling his mate.

" I'll be right back, my love," he whispered.

Imani nodded, " Be careful. I don't want us to be discovered."

" I will."

Imani watched him disappear into the darkness. Once he was out of earshot, she looked down at Sanura, who was nursing. She smiled warmly. Imani knew she couldn't hate herself forever. Her daughter was safe now, that's all that mattered.

" You're safe, baby. Daddy's gonna take good care of us," she purred.

Imani's growling stomach reminded her that food was on the way. She looked into the darkness, waiting patiently for Koman's return.

Meanwhile, back at Pride Rock, Kopa and Vitani were laying on the top. The prince was looking out over the moonlit Pridelands. Vitani was asleep next to him, her head in his front paws. He was enjoying the silent evening until a shadow caught his eye. He squinted, attempting to see the moving figure that slowly wandered through the Pridelands.

Kopa stood up, accidentally waking Vitani in the process. Her head thumped the ground. She groaned through clenched teeth. Kopa looked at her.

" Oops, sorry, Vitani."

She yawned, " What's going on?"

Kopa focused his attention on the figure again.

" There's someone out there. It looks like a lion," he said suspiciously.

Vitani stood and stretched, " So?"

Kopa turned, " So, I'm going to tell Mom and Dad."

He began to walk towards the cave. Vitani shrugged her shoulders and followed him. When they entered, they found Simba and Nala asleep on their rock, with Kiara snuggled up against Nala's side.

" Dad?" Kopa whispered.

The entire Pride was asleep, so he was careful not to wake them.

" Daaad," he begged.

Simba groaned and opened his eyes.

" What is it, Son?" he rolled over.

" I saw what looked to be a lion roaming through the Pridelands," Kopa explained.

Simba was too tired to express any concern. He groaned again and nearly drifted back to sleep. Kopa nudged him.

" Dad! It's important! Some rogue might be hunting our food!"

Nala suddenly lifted her head, " Shh! You're going to wake Kiara up."

Kopa frowned, " Sorry, Mom."

" I'll look around carefully during my border patrol in the morning," Simba mumbled.

" Go to sleep, you two," Nala ordered.

Kopa sighed and led Vitani to the back of the cave. She rested her head on his front paws again.

" Parents," Kopa grumbled before putting his head down to rest.

Koman eventually returned to his family with a zebra foal. He dropped the meal in front of Imani and grinned proudly. Her paws were crossed and she raised an eyebrow at him.

" Were you spotted?" she asked suspiciously.

Koman's grin disappeared, " I don't think so."

" Koman, if we get spotted, who knows what Simba will do to us."

Her mate smirked, " Are you scared of Simba?"

Imani glared, " No," she looked down at Sanura. " I'm scared of what he'll do to our daughter. I'm only worried about her safety."

" We'll protect her, I promise," Koman nuzzled her.

Imani sighed, " Thank you. For everything."

" Of course, my love. Now eat as much as you want. You deserve it," he comforted.

Imani grabbed the meat and ate like she hadn't eaten in days. The entire zebra foal was almost gone in minutes. Imani lifted her head from the corpse, licking her blood-stained lips.

" I haven't eaten like that in so long," she sighed.

Koman laid next to her and put his head down.

" I haven't slept yet. I'm exhausted," he stated.

" Then sleep. I'll keep watch this time," Imani replied.

Koman was already asleep. Imani smiled and looked up at the stars. She was finally safe, but most of all, she was happier than ever.