Chapter 38: The Chosen One

^Art is not mine^

When Kovu finished nursing, Zira took him to the back of the den for a bath. As she began to lick his face, Nuka approached. He looked at Kovu with utter confusion.

" Who's this, Mother?"

Zira looked down at Kovu with pride.

" This, my son, is your new little brother, Kovu," Zira grinned.

" Where did he come from?" Nuka was still confused.

" Scar gifted me with a new son. He will be a great king someday."

" Father's dead, Mother."

Zira looked at him and growled.

" His is not dead. He is one of the Great Kings of the Past. He has chosen Kovu here to follow in his paw-prints and become a king," Zira confirmed.

" What about me? Aren't I next in line?" Nuka asked innocently.

Zira rolled her eyes.

" Nuka, we've been over this. You are much too weak and idiotic to be a proper king. Kovu is the Chosen One, you are not."

Nuka frowned. What his own mother thought of him was painful. Zira yawned heavily.

" Mother needs rest now. Go on, Nuka. I have a new son to tend to," Zira stated as she returned to bathing Kovu.

Nuka left the den with tears in his eyes and newfound hate in his heart. He hated Kovu already. Nuka felt replaced. He felt rejected. Ever since his cub-hood Nuka was always sweet to his mother. She never seemed to appreciate it. She still thought of him incapable of being a king, despite his efforts to show her otherwise.

Nuka trudged off into the darkness. He didn't want to be anywhere near his pride tonight. Back in the den, Zira was finishing Kovu's bath. Once he was clean, she placed him beside her and looked at him proudly.

Zira saw a new beginning with her new son. Although she finally got the son she wanted, Zira wasn't fully satisfied. She knew she couldn't leave Simba and Nala with the satisfaction of stealing her daughter. She needed revenge. Zira wanted to show Nala how it felt to lose a child.

Zira thought this over as Kovu snuggled against her stomach. Zira decided that simply kidnapping Kopa wasn't going to cut it. She wanted total revenge. She wanted to cause Nala more pain than she's ever felt.

And finally killing Kopa would do it.

Zira wanted nothing more than to kill Kopa for the soul purpose of causing Nala pain. Before, Zira wanted to kill the entire royal family, but now that Kovu was here, ridding Simba and Nala would be easier. She didn't need to use Kopa as bait again.

Zira decided that once Kovu was less dependent on her and Imani she would kill Kopa. That would bring her some satisfaction while training Kopa to kill Simba. Her plan was perfect.

Until a lioness from her pride rushed into the den with news.

" Zira! King Simba and Queen Nala are expecting a cub!"

At that moment, Zira lost it.