Chapter 52: What's Next?

Kopa looked from Vitani to the ground multiple times, his mind replaying the scene that unfolded in the Outlands. They walked back to Pride Rock behind Imani, who led the group. Simba and Nala were behind everyone. The King limped heavily beside the Queen. She kept an eye on him and noticed that he winced every time he put pressure on his front right leg. Simba felt pain throughout his body, and he felt he would collapse at any second.

Once they returned to Pride Rock, Vitani found her own corner in the den to stay in. She refused to look at Kopa, but he could hardly keep his eyes off her. He felt so many emotions that all looped back to her. He wanted so badly to talk to her, but he didn't want to be pushed away again.

Meanwhile, Nala assisted Simba to their rock in the middle of the den. He lied down and sighed as his pain left him. Nala nuzzled him while Sarafina and Sarabi approached them. The former queen held Kiara by her scruff. She giggled and smiled when she saw Nala. The Queen took her and placed her next to her stomach, and Kiara immediately went to nurse. Sarabi noticed Simba's injuries and stated she would fetch Rafiki. Once her and Sarafina left together, Nala watched as Imani met up with her family just outside the den.

" What now?" she sighed.

Simba groaned as he lifted his head.

" Call Imani over. I have an apology to give."

Nala did as Simba wished, and Imani walked up to the couple. She kept her head high as she asked for respect through her body language. Simba tried to sit up better and winced at the sudden sharp pains.

" You called?" Imani calmly asked.

" I owe you an apology, Imani. I should have believed you before. You may stay with my pride if you would like."

Nala hit her tail against Simba's and he knew what she wanted him to do.

" And thank you for saving me," he struggled to say.

" I accept your apology," she looked at Nala. " I'm sorry for disobeying you and running away."

Nala bowed her head respectively and delivered a warm smile," You made up for it."

Imani grinned and dismissed herself when Rafiki walked into the den with Sarafina and Sarabi close behind. Meanwhile, Kopa built up the courage to talk to Vitani. He approached her and spoke firmly to let her know he was serious.

" Vitani, we need to talk."

Her ears moved in his direction, but she still refused to look at him. Kopa sighed and realized he couldnt stay firm in his words.

He sat down," I'm worried about you. Im almost frustrated because you dont know what you want. One moment you're sleeping peacefully beside me, the next you're running away back to Zira. I want to know what's going on inside that beautiful head of yours. But you wont open up to me."

Vitani didnt respond. She was listening but wasnt sure what to say or do. At this point, Kopa was beginning to lose his patience.

" Talk to me, Vitani. I want to help you, but I don't know what you're thinking. Why did you run back? You're protected here, we all care about you, so why did you try and leave? Are we not good enough for you? What do you want?"

"I was trying to protect you!" Vitani finally looked at him, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Kopa took a step back. He hadn't realized he slightly raised his voice. He suddenly felt guilty for shouting at her, and his ears dropped. Vitani sniffled.

" Protect me from what? I dont understand," he asked softly.

" I heard Imani talking to your parents about how Zira was going to kill you if she didn't get me back. I thought I could protect you if I ran back to her. She wouldn't hurt you," Vitani began to cry harder.

Kopa got closer to her and allowed her head to rest on his chest. He could feel her tears begin to soak his fur. Her eyes stung as she cried out all her pain and confessed to him how she felt and what she was thinking all along.

" I didn't know. I'm so sorry, Vitani. I'm safe, though. My parents wouldn't allow anything that drastic happen to me," Kopa tried comforting her.

When Vitani could speak, she revealed more of her thoughts.

" I don't know what to do. It's like no matter where I am I'm haunted by my childhood. I know I'm safe here, but deep inside I feel vulnerable. The Outlands seem closer than it is, and even with your parents here I feel like Zira will hurt me. Will hurt you."

" I'm sorry you feel that way. I wish I could do something about it."

" I just wish we could run away to somewhere Zira wouldn't find us," Vitani sniffled against his chest.

Kopa took in her words and sighed as his eyes closed. His mind raced as he tried to think of a way to help her.

" Wait, who said we have to stay?" Kopa opened his eyes and looked at her.

Her red and puffy eyes looked up at him with confusion," What?"

" We don't have to stay here. We're old enough to leave and find our own place. A place where Zira won't find us," Kopa smiled excitedly.

" I-I dont know... what about your parents? And Kiara?"

" We can visit my parents, and Kiara can be the future Queen. With me around, she wouldn't get that chance. I want to give that privilege to her."

Vitani looked at the ground in thought. She wasn't sure if this was the right idea.

" I'm not sure about that, Kopa," she shook with nervousness.

" Well, I am. I'm going to talk to my parents about it," he stated, standing up.

He began to walk away, but Vitani stopped him by softly grabbing his tail in her mouth. He turned around and found extreme worry in her lavender eyes. He sighed and nuzzled her reassuringly.

" I love you, Vitani. I want to protect you, and this is the only way I can reach that goal," Kopa mentioned the three words Vitani had been wanting to hear from anyone since the beginning.

She began to tear up again," You would give up everything here to protect me?"

" Of course! I hate seeing you messed up like this, and Ill do anything to see you happy again."

Vitani knew Kopa loved her, but she didn't know he loved her that much. He smiled at her with love in his eyes, and Vitani knew in that moment who she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.

" I love you too, Kopa," she sniffled.

He leaned forward and licked her cheek, making her smile with a slight giggle. The young couple's hearts were blossoming with love and happiness, a feeling Vitani never thought she would feel.