Episode 5 - Even If You Should Die (Part 1.5)

So, I decided to write a poem and post it so that you guys get something in return of the cliffhangerish ending of the last chapter. Be warned, it will be half poem and half actual story, so I'll put the full poem at the end if you want to read it all at once. The italicized words are the story.

Even if you should die,

I'd still remember you.

"For the sake of everyone around us, I hope you get married to someone who can cook!" Y/N said as she spit out the awful meat that Meliodas had cooked for her. "That, or to someone who's rich enough to afford a cook." Meliodas laughed.

"Well, then I should marry you. You're the best cook I know!" Y/N's cheeks flooded with color and she threw her fork at him, knowing that he would dodge. Meliodas easily did so, catching the fork and twirling it in his fingers as he mused. "Meliodas, the Dragon Sin of Wrath, and Y/N, the Polar Bear of Forgetting." Meliodas looked up at his comrade. "Our Sins often go hand and hand, don't they?" 

Y/N scoffed. "I'm not the Sin of forgiving. And with all due respect, I would rather never forget my wrath. In my opinion, that's worse than forgiving someone who shouldn't be forgiven."

And I swear that you'll keep making an impact,

even if only through my memories.

"Hey, Captain?"

 "Yes?"

Y/N rolled over to face her captain, who was staring at the star-filled sky. She smiled at him from her position on the ground. "Never mind. Just forget I mentioned anything."  This was her favorite way to spend time with Meliodas. If she could spend the rest of her life in complete silence with him, she would be happy.

After all, how could you be better remembered, 

than through the eyes and hearts of those loved you? 

Meliodas sat in his bed, listening to Y/N ramble about nothing in particular. He wasn't interested in what she was talking about, and he had a suspicion she wasn't either, but he continued to hear every word she said and take it to heart, as if she was telling him her deepest secrets. After all, when you're in love with someone, you treasure every moment you spend with them, even if you aren't particularly entertained. Meliodas wasted countless afternoons with Y/N just listening to her talk. These aimless one-sided conversations were one of the few joys that Meliodas allowed himself whenever he was in the middle of a mission for the king. He imagined that this was how heaven was.

I'd keep living in pain, 

if it meant that you could be known.

Y/N chased her captain around the Boar Hat, debating whether or not she should use her magic to get him to stand still. "CAPTAIN!  GET BACK HERE!"  Meliodas turned and ran backward while winking at her. He then spun around and shook his head. Y/N gritted her teeth to keep from screaming in fury. "Meliodas, I swear if you don't stop right now..." She slammed into him, falling onto her back.

"You... You called me by my name. You haven't done that since I became the  captain of the Seven Deadly Sins." He told her while helping her up. Y/N nodded and then quickly snapped the chain around his neck.

"Ha! I got my necklace back."  Y/N pranced back inside the tavern playfully. Meliodas stood there for a few seconds before following her inside, smiling.

I'd hold the pain close to my heart, 

just so that I would never have to risk forgetting you. 

"Y/N! Y/N? Y/N..." Meliodas called out to his comrade. "Come on, I'm sorry. Just open this door before I have to break it down!"  He heard muffled cries of "no" and continuous sobbing. Meliodas sighed and slowly lowered himself onto the floor, his back resting on Y/N's door. He looked upwards in defeat. 'What kind of idiot pretends to forget an athazagoraphobic* person's birthday? And she doesn't even like parties...' 

But, I'll fight to keep you safe,  

so you won't die until I'm too weak to defend those close to my heart.

Meliodas was flying... If you could count being thrown through the air as flying, that is. Ban had thrown him in a "friendly attempt" to show him how to impress a girl. Meliodas was regretting his decision, as he wasn't particularly fond of flying, until he saw Y/N being trampled in a busy marketplace. "Y/N!!!! HI!!!!" Said Sin looked up at the sound of her name to see her captain landing in front of her, shoving a couple people to the ground in the process. "CAPTAIN!"

And you are the closest thing to my heart, 

For you are my heart. 

*Athazagoraphobia: The fear of being forgotten. This is specific to Y/N in the way that it only affects her severely if someone who she loves or is extremely close to forgets about her.

Full poem: I call it "Remembering My Heart"

Even if you should die, 

I'd still remember you. 

And I'd swear that you'll keep making an impact, 

even if only through my memories. 

After all, how could you be better remembered, 

than through the eyes and hearts of those loved you? 

I'd keep living in pain, 

if it meant that you could be known. 

I'd hold the pain close to my heart, 

just so that I would never have to risk forgetting you. 

But, I'll fight to keep you safe,  

so you won't die until I'm too weak to defend those close to my heart.  

And you are the closest thing to my heart, 

For you are my heart.