Episode 19 - The Fairy King Waits in Vain

~Y/N's Perspective~

I had first met Diane shortly after Meliodas. While he went to talk to the Fox, I went on a little journey to hunt down some more allies. For whatever reason, Meliodas trusted my judgement. 

I was pondering why exactly he had so much trust in me despite knowing me for little more than two weeks when I stumbled upon a group of men and a large girl. Harsh words were spoken, and let's just say I let my frustration overcome rather quickly. 

After the event the girl and I stared at each other for a solid minute before I said, "My name is Y/N."

"Diane." 

"To be honest, I wouldn't take what they said personally. None of them were cute enough." I blurted. We began to laugh, giggles fading into loud guffaws. 

Diane wiped her eyes and said, "Thanks. I needed that."

I simply nodded, and asked her awkwardly, "Would you, er, like to get dinner with me? I have a business proposition." She smiled brilliantly at me, and that was how Diane the Serpent Sin of Envy joined the Eight Deadly Sins. 

After this chance meeting, Diane claimed me as her best friend, something I didn't mind. Not even when she'd excitedly chatter about her small interactions with the captain and my chest clenched. Besides, I didn't have time for emotions of my own, and if Diane wanted to let me live through her, who was I to say no? 

Diane, my  dear giant friend, had a giant heart in more ways than one. She cared easily and deeply, something anyone who looked closer noticed. I was nearly certain that was why a certain fairy had fallen for her. I asked him about it one night when we were patrolling together. 

"When did you fall for Diane?" I asked. King blushed and stammered, tripping over both rocks and words as he tried to deny it. When he realized I wasn't going to be fooled, he went on the offense. 

"Did you look through my memories?" He asked angerly. "You have no right to be messing in head!" 

I laughed and replied, "All I had to do was look at you. You don't hide it very well, you know."  King paled at my response. "But don't worry, Diane is oblivious and I've spent so many years meddling with minds that I'm not interested muddling with hearts." King's chest heaved with a sigh of relief. He told me about his past with Diane with a touch of melancholy lacing his voice. A melancholy I was familiar with. Sad smiles were exchanged and when we got back to camp, we parted ways with a bit more understanding of each other. 

But, Diane was still in love with the captain. She talked to me about it at every free moment we got, and I just smiled and nodded, heart clenching when I thought about King waiting. Sometimes I'd drop subtle hints to get her to spend some more time with our fairy friend. I think that at the end of the day she always liked him, not Meliodas. Meliodas was just the obvious choice, the easiest choice. 

Presently, however, as I watch over Diane from a distance, I feel that maybe she'll be able to open herself to King now that she isn't trying to convince herself that Meliodas is her love. And then King won't have to wait any longer. 

I'm sorry that this was a short chapter, it's hard to right for episodes that don't have Meliodas in them because, well this is a Meliodas x Reader???

Anyway, I hope that I made up for it by PUBLISHING ALL OF THE BOOK!!!

That's right, after three long years of near constant procrastination, I have completed all of the "The Eighth Sin" and I am publishing it all at once. You might have noticed (If this book is in your library) the million notifications, and no, that was not a mistake. And no, you're not dreaming. 

As I reflect on the past three years, I've gotta thank each and every one of you for reading. I am equally grateful for every one of your interactions, whether you just read, or you vote and comment. If you've stuck with this sporadically updated book since the beginning, thank you. If you just started reading last month, thank you. If you're reading this author note, thank you. I am eternally grateful for the support this book and my writing has received and that Wattpad has somehow become a large part of my life. I laugh when I read your comments (I do read them all, and try to respond). I smile at everyone who votes (I make an effort to view everyone's profile). I feel a sense of pride when I see that someone has added my book to a reading list (I apologize you have to wait so long for updates). This fanfiction, and fanfiction in general, is a part of me that I know I'll always remember fondly, even if it's with a bit of embarrassment.

So it's with a bit of melancholy and a lot of pride that I say that the Eighth Sin is finally completed. Take this Christmas present, from me to you, and enjoy. 

Merry Christmas, 

Sammy