Episode 22 - What I Can Do For You

~Meliodas' Perspective~

"You're from the demon race, aren't ya?"

I don't reply, just staring at my old friend. Things are different when I'm like this. Some things are colder, easier to lock out. Others are almost impossible to drown. Like that Y/N was taken. 

"You're not saying anything, so I guess that means I have my answer." 

"Now is really not the time to be bringing this up. Y/N is.." I start, but am cut off when Ban charges at me again. 

"This might not mean anything to you Captain, but to me there's nothing else in the world that matters more!" Ban yells. "If I kill you now, then she'll be brought back to life!" 

'Ugh, what was the name of that girl that Y/N told me about? The one that Ban's in love with?

"Who would put something as ridiculous as that in your head?" I ask, blocking strike after strike. 

"Some stuck up chick who called herself a goddess!" Hawk yells from the outskirts of our fight. "She was talking to us out of this big horn thing, too!" 

Ban explains that the goddess told him everything, including that if he kills me, Elaine will be brought back to him. "I see." I say, closing my eyes momentarily. I know that my demon blood has faded. "Kill me, then." It's hard to argue when I know that I'd do the same thing if I had to. 

"Captain." Ban says, giving me a soft smile. "Now come on. You're not screwing with me, are ya?" 

"Hey, look. If I were in your shoes, that's what I'd do." I say truthfully. 

"I appreciate this, Captain." Ban tells me. "I'll never forget you as long as I live." 

He attacks me, but I head butt him into a nearby wall. He emerges furious and yells, "Why would you fight back after an exchange like that!?" He yells. "Especially after telling me to take you out!" 

"I never said I'd just roll over and let you kill me." I say. "If the tables were turned, wouldn't you have done the same thing?"  

"Say what?" Ban says. 

I sigh. "Our friend. Y/N. She'd sacrifice herself without giving it a second thought."

'She has, multiple times, actually. Each time I'm afraid her body won't stich itself back together.'

"Knowing that, how can I abandon her? I'm not gonna let myself get killed in a place like this." I say. 

"Huh. So that's how it is." Ban says, smirking a little. "I always knew you and the polar bear had a little something going on." 

"That's not-"

"Then have it your way. But don't think I'm gonna play nice and call it quits." Ban says, preparing for battle. 

"Ban, knock it off!" Hawk squeals. 

"Shut up." Ban says. "Doing this might be the only shot I get at resurrecting Elaine."

Hawk blows steam from his snout and runs towards Ban, despite my warnings to stay away. 

"Man, you are hopeless! Honestly, you're gonna kill Meliodas because some freaky horn you know nothing about told you to?" he scolds. "Oh, I get it. Meliodas isn't actually one of your friends, is that the bull you're trying to sell me here?" 

"The Captain is my best friend in the world." Ban tells us. "But if what the goddess said is true, then I can see Elaine again."

"Yeah, but if it's not, you're gonna lose your best pal forever." Hawk says softly, much kinder than I thought was possible for the tempermental pig. "Come on, think about it. Would Elaine really be happy coming back to life like this?"