Episode 22.5 - I Can Fight

Neither of them looked at each other, the air tense. They, for some reason, were riding side by side, backing up the Sins. King and Diane exchanged worried glances, each hoping they would forgive each other. Diane secretly hoped that it would be Meliodas who conceded and apologized because her best friend was always too easy to compromise, to end conflict. 

Meliodas was thinking back to the girl he almost hit with his cart, her eyes filled with sadness even as she laughed hysterically. Pain had overwhelmed her that day, and he'd hoped that he would never see that again. He wondered if the girl he had learned was a fantastic chef and a even better warrior had that same expression on her face now. He couldn't force himself to check. Because if he did, then would he see his right hand woman's face contorted with anger or sadness? Or worst of all, would he just see her staring off into the distance, avoiding him just as much as he was avoiding her? 

He knew that she was powerful, he'd known it from the moment they'd met and she didn't flinch instinctively away from him. Everyone else did, subconciously leaning away from his demonic presence. But it was like she leaned towards him instead. He wasn't sure if he hoped that she knew or that she didn't. If she knew, did she secretly hate him? If she didn't, then would he have to explain it one day? Could he get away with never telling her? Probably not.

Either way, he knew that she was powerful. That wasn't the reason he wanted her to stay. She could take care of herself better than even he could and he knew that. It was just that when she shouted, "I CAN FIGHT!" at him that morning, it was easier for him to pretend that he thought she needed protection than to admit the truth. He loved her and he was terrified. He was terrified that she'd go and die and he'd never see he again, just like he'd never see Liz again. And sometimes that anxiety was a lot to handle, and he just wanted Y/N to stay behind so that he could breathe without feeling like his chest was going to explode. 

He wondered if she'd ever talk to him now that she thought that he saw her as weak. 

Y/N was thinking about the boy that laughed with her before she even knew him as she lost her mind on the day of her sister's funeral. The boy who promised that they could pretend to not care together when she was close to falling apart. He had looked so sad as he sat with her in the hallway. She couldn't look at him now in fear that he'd have that same look. Even anger would be better than the melancholy that pierced through anyone who had the misfortune of looking his eyes. She much preferred the whimsical sparkle that roped her into any scheme he thought of. 

She knew that he didn't think that she was weak. There was no doubt in her mind, after all he had taken her with him without a second thought. It was something she'd eternally grateful for, even if he was a lousy captain at times and couldn't manage money or food for the life of him. Those character flaws led to plenty misadventures and for the first time she found herself looking forward to sifting through memories. 

Either way, she knew that he didn't think that she was weak. It was just that in the heat of the moment it was easier to scream, "I CAN FIGHT!" than the truth. She needed him and she was terrified. Somehow, he had filled a space she didn't even know she needed filled, and he did it seamlessly. The twinkle in his emerald eyes was something that she'd grown to look forward to, even depend on, and she was terrified of a world where those eyes didn't sparkle. In an odd way, the reason why she wanted to go so badly was so that she could protect him

She wondered how long it it would take for her to talk to him again. 

The two of them rode silence, still next to each other because even if the other hated them, they would rather be together in hatred than be apart. They sat on unsaid feelings and unsure words. They eagerly waited to be able to smile at each other again.   

But for now, neither of them looked at each other.