Chapter 20

"Edmund, get Peter and Caspian," Alex said.

Alex had rushed outside upon hearing marching in the distance. Turns out, Miraz's army had traveled to Aslan's How, ready for war. She could see them appeared through the trees. Caspian was first to join her side, staring as the troops arrived. Not a minute later, Edmund came rushing back with Peter and Lucy trailing behind him. Narnians gathered on the ground below, having heard the noise and news.

Alex scanned over the Telmarines. There numbers were far greater than theirs. They had giant catapults, ready to fire at the Narnians at any time. Many soldiers, but many generals and commanders, sat on horses. Every man wore a metal mask on their face, only their eyes showing. A white horse came forward and stood in front of all the others. Alex glared at the figure on top of the horse, knowing it was Miraz.

She looked at Caspian and Peter.

"We need to call a council together," she said.

~

"Cakes and kettledrums. That's your next big plan?" Trumpkin asked. "Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest? Alone!"

"It's our only chance," Peter reasoned.

"And she won't be alone," Susan added, standing beside her sister.

Trumpkin looked at Lucy.

"Haven't enough of us died already?" he asked.

"Nikabrik was my friend, too," Trufflehunter said. "But he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I."

Reepicheep pulled out his sword and laid it across his chest.

"For Aslan," he said.

Alex smiled at him.

"For Aslan," a talking bear said.

"Then I'm going with you," Trumpkin said to Lucy.

"No, we need you here," the queen replied, putting her hand on the dwarf's shoulder.

"We have to hold them off until Susan and Lucy get back," Peter said.

"If I may," said Caspian. Peter looked at Caspian and the prince stood up. "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer, but as king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one in particular that may buy us some time."

"It may work," Alex agreed. "If it will buy us even a little time, it is worth a try."

~

Alex and Caspian helped Susan and Lucy get ready for their trip. Alex had given the two girls cloaks to where and Caspian was lending them his horse.

"Destrier has always served me well," he told them, fixing the saddle as Alex helped Lucy on. "You are in good hands."

"Or hooves," Lucy commented, earning a smile from the others.

"Good luck."

"Thanks," Susan said.

Caspian reached into his bag and pulled out Susan's horn.

"Look," he said. "Maybe it is time you had this back."

"Why don't you hold onto it," Susan suggested. "You might need to call me again."

Alex rolled her eyes. Susan urged the horse forward and the two queens took off. Alex smiled as they rode off. She and Caspian walked down the corridor they had just disappeared down. Outside, they could see Susan and Lucy riding away. But they could also see Miraz's men getting ready for the duel between their king and Peter.

Movement suddenly caught Alex's eye. She turned her head and froze.

"Alex?" Caspian said.

"They've been seen."

She ran back towards the How, Caspian right behind her. The two quickly found horses, one already saddled. Caspian mounted the saddled horse while Alex swung onto the back of another.

"Alex!" They looked behind them to see Reepicheep running towards them. "Where are you going?"

"To help Lucy and Susan," she responded. "They were seen by Telmarines and are being pursued. Tell Peter we shall return!"

The two rode out of the How, heading in the direction Lucy and Susan had gone. They pushed their horses to go as fast as they could, Alex in the lead. She was using her ears to listen for the sound of the Telmarines' horses. After several minutes, she glanced back at Caspian.

"They're just up ahead!" she said.

He nodded and a moment later, they found Susan firing at the Telmarines. She was suddenly knocked to the ground and the last remaining soldier aiming his sword at her. Caspian rushed ahead of Alex and killed the man, causing him to fall off his horse. Caspian guided his horse towards Susan and held out his hand.

"Are you sure you don't need that horn?" he asked with a smile.

Susan grabbed his hand and swung up behind him.

"Where's Lucy?" Alex asked.

"I sent her on ahead," Susan replied.

"I'm going after her. A few Telmarines escaped. You two go on back to the How."

The two nodded. Alex pulled on the horse's hair to turn it into the direction Lucy had gone. She pushed the horse to go faster and faster. It did not take long before she could see Lucy and two Telmarine soldiers ahead of her. She was about to urge her horse faster when she saw a flash of gold to her left. She looked to her side and saw a large golden creature running through the woods. It moved ahead of Lucy and the soldiers, stopping briefly to roar.

Lucy's horse reared up, causing the girl to fall to the ground. Alex's horse would have done the same if the elf had not been holding on tight enough and immediately began to speaking to it, trying to calm it down.

The Lion jumped over Lucy's head and tackled one of the Telmarines to the ground. Alex raced forward on her horse and quickly killed the other. A silence fell over the woods. Alex dismounted the horse and smiled at the Lion, who looked at Lucy.

"Aslan!" she said, a smile growing on her face. She ran towards him and hugged him, managing to accidentally knock him down. Alex smiled at the two and walked closer. She could see the smiles on both their faces. "I knew it was you. The whole time, I knew it. But the others didn't believe me."

"And why would that stop you from coming to me?" the Great Lion questioned, his voice still sounding kind.

"I'm sorry. I was too scared to come alone. Why wouldn't you show yourself? Why couldn't you come roaring in and save us like last time?"

"Things never happen the same why twice, dear one."

"If I'd have come earlier, would everyone who died... could I have stopped that?"

"We can never know what would have happened, Lucy," Aslan said to her. "But will happen is another matter entirely."

"You mean you'll help?"

"Of course. As will you."

"Oh. I wish I was braver."

"If you were any braver, you'd be a lioness. Now, I think your friends have slept long enough, don't you?"

He stood to his feet and let out a ground shaking roar. A moment after the sound died down, the trees started groaning. Lucy looked around her in amazement. Aslan looked over at Alex and smiled.

"It is good to see you again, Alexandra," he said.

"It certainly is, Aslan," she replied, bowing her head.

"I need a favor of you, my dear."

"Of course."

"I need you to lead our troops into the battle. Push them towards the river. We shall meet you all there."

Alex nodded. She mounted her horse and smiled.

"I'll see you both shortly."