Chapter 3

Lucy led her siblings through the Narnian forest. They had hidden in the wardrobe to try and hide from the housekeeper, but instead came to Narnia. Lucy was super excited to show them around and was happy that they now believed her that Narnia was real. They had borrowed coats from the wardrobe and Lucy was now bringing them to Mr Tumnus's home.

Along the way, Lucy would play in the snow with Peter and Susan, thought Susan was still unsure about everything. Edmund had just been acting really strange since they arrived.

"You'll love Mr Tumnus," Lucy was saying, her coat pulled tightly around her. "He's so sweet. We'll have tea and sit by the fire and... and..."

Her voice trailed off when she saw the door to Mr Tumnus's home hanging off its hinges. She gasped at the sight and ran forward, ignoring her siblings calls. She stepped inside the home, Peter right behind her. Everything was destroyed.

"Who would do something like this?" Lucy asked to no one in particular, gazing around at the home that was normally so neat.

The little girl suddenly noticed something in the back room. She hurried over to it and stared. It was Alex's cloak. Lucy grabbed it, holding it close to her as she returned to her siblings.

Peter noticed a note hanging on the wall and went to read it.

"The Faun Tumnus is hereby charged with high treason against her Imperial Majesty Jadis, Queen of Narnia, for comforting her enemies and fraternizing with humans. Signed, Maugrim, captain of the Secret Police. Long live the Queen."

He handed the note to Susan, who looked it over.

"Alright," she said. "Now we really should go back."

"But what about Mr Tumnus?" Lucy asked, still holding onto Alex's cloak.

"If he was arrested just for being with a human, I don't think there's much we can do."

"You don't understand, do you?" Her eldest sibling looked at her. "I'm the human. She must have found out he helped me."

"Maybe we can call the police," Peter suggested.

"These are the police," Susan pointed out.

"Don't worry, Lu," Peter said, looking into his sister's eyes. "We'll think of something."

"Why?" Edmund asked. "I mean, he's a criminal."

A bird suddenly chirped outside, followed by a psst.

"Did that bird just 'psst' us?" Susan asked, looking back at her siblings.

Peter started outside, the others following close behind. As they stepped back into the cold, the bird flew away. A twig suddenly cracked, catching their attention. Something was moving around the family, but they couldn't see what. Lucy and Susan held onto Peter for support while Edmund stayed behind them. A moment later, a beaver came out from behind a rock.

"It... it's a beaver," Lucy said.

Peter stepped forward, holding out his hand.

"Here, boy," he said nervously. He clicked his tongue. "Here, boy."

He slowly brought his hand close to the beaver's face.

"Well I ain't gonna to smell it, if that's what you want," the beaver suddenly said.

The children's eyes widened. Lucy laughed, looking in amusement at her siblings' faces.

"Sorry," Peter said, backing away.

"Lucy Pevensie?"

Lucy stopped laughing and stared at the beaver.

"Yes?" she replied, walking towards him. The beaver pulled out a white cloth. Lucy took it from him. "Hey, that's the hanky I have to Mr Tu-"