Chapter 9

Arrows flew over Peter's head as Edmund gave the order for the archers to fire. Cries of pain could be heard from behind him, but he kept his back to them. Suddenly, an arrow struck his unicorn from above, causing it to fall to the ground and throw Peter away. The boy landed on his back with a thud, losing his helmet. As he got up, he saw the Witch approaching, determination on her face.

Peter quickly rose to his feet, ready to fight off the woman. He turned around when he heard loud footsteps running towards him. Oreius and a rhino raced past him.

"Stop!" he shouted to them, but they ignored his words.

The rhino charged through the Witch's ranks, knocking creatures to the side before falling to the ground. Oreius lept over its body, knocking over a minotaur and an ogres. He raised his swords as the Witch's general ran at him. Oreius knocked his axe away, but the creatures grabbed onto his back to try and stop him. The centaur general hit him a few times before embedding his blades in its back. The minotaur released him with a cry and fell to the ground.

Peter stared as Oreius pulled out a larger sword, still headed for the Witch. He jumped over the polar bears and swung his sword at the woman. She bent back to avoid it and turned around when Oreius landed. He reared up to attack her again, but she thrusted her staff at him, turning him to stone in the blink of an eye.

Peter swallowed the lump in his throat. The Witch stepped off her chariot and made her way through the fight, either killing Narnians as she went or turning them to stone. The scene around him was not much better. The Witch's troops were easily taking down the Narnians. Screeches could be heard above, making Peter and the Witch look up. Two griffins flew at the woman, ready to attack, but she was prepared. She swung her sword and her staff, damaging one's wing and turning the other to stone. Peter looked back at his brother as the Witch started towards him again.

"Edmund!" he said. "There's too many! Get out of here! Get the girls and get them home!"

A minotaur suddenly came at him, distracting him from his brother. He hoped that Edmund would do as he asked. As he was battling the minotaur, a cyclops joined in on their duel. He managed to kill the cyclops, but the minotaur remained standing.

A flash of blue light suddenly caught his attention. He looked to his left to see Edmund standing before the Witch, her staff broken. She moved his sword with her own and stabbed the dark-haired boy with the scepter.

"Edmund!" Peter shouted.

His brother fell to the ground and the Witch tossed her broken scepter away. Enraged, Peter finished off the minotaur and charged at the woman. He knocked another minotaur away with his sword before swinging his weapon at the woman who had just killed his only brother. With every blow Peter tried to deliver, the Witch blocked it. She soon began swinging her own swords, but Peter managed to block them with his sword and shield.

The Witch finally managed to knock Peter to the ground. He was dazed for a second, but quickly got back to his feet to keep fighting. The two moved quickly against one another, neither seeming to get the upper hand. Suddenly, there was a loud roar, causing all fighting to pause for a moment. Peter and the Witch looked up at the rocks and stared at the sight. Aslan had come.

"Impossible," the Witch whispered.

Peter smiled slightly when he saw the army the Great Lion had brought, along with his sisters. The Witch suddenly attacked him again. After several moments, she tripped him with her blade, knocking him to the ground. She pinned his arm down with her sword, making him cry out. The Witch spun her sword, ready to finish the boy off when Aslan lept into the air, knocking her back.

Peter ripped the Witch's sword from his arm and quickly stood up. Everything around him seemed to slow as he saw Aslan finally turn around and look at him.