Chapter 37

Alex sat beside her brother, their hands intertwined. Since the two were reunited, Alex had hardly left his side. The two elves were sitting in a rowboat with Reepicheep, Eustace, Edmund, Lucy, and Caspian. Edmund and Caspian were controlling the boat, rowing through the lily-filled water.

"So, what was it like when Aslan changed you back?" Edmund asked his cousin.

"No matter how hard I tried," Eustace replied, "I just couldn't do it myself. Then he came towards me. It sort of hurt, but it was a good pain. You know, like when you pull a thorn from your foot. Being a dragon wasn't all bad. I mean, I think I was a better dragon than I was a boy, really. I'm so sorry for being such a sop."

"It's okay, Eustace," Edmund said. "You were a pretty good dragon."

Everyone smiled.

"My friends," Reepicheep said from the front of the boat. "We have arrived."

The group turned in their seats to look at the view before them. Not far away was a beach with a large wave rising from it. Behind it, Alex could catch a glimpse of mountains and waterfalls. The boat eventually hit land and the friends set their feet in the sand. They stared at the wave for a moment before walking forward. Alex looked to her right when she heard the sound of soft feet in the sand.

"Aslan," Eustace said, noticing the Great Lion as well. They quickly turned around to face the familiar creature.

"Welcome, children," Aslan greeted. "You have done well. Very well indeed. You have come far, and now your journey is at its end."

"Is this your country?" Lucy asked.

"No. My country lies beyond." He motioned to the wave with his head.

"Is my father in your country?" Caspian inquired after a moment.

"You can only find that out for yourself, my son. But you should know that if you continue, there is no return."

Alex swallowed when she saw Caspian walk forward. She felt Galan squeeze her hand; he had figured out that she had taken a liking to Caspian but agreed not to say a word. Caspian walked towards the wave until he stood right before it. He slowly reached out his hand, sticking it in the water. After a minute, he pulled his hand away and turned around again.

"You're not going?" Edmund asked.

"I can't imagine my father would be very proud that I gave up what he died for," Caspian answered. "I spent too long wanting what was taken from me and not what was given. I was given a kingdom. A people." He turned to Aslan. "I promise to be a better king."

"You already are." Alex smiled. The lion turned to look at the others. "Children."

"I think perhaps it's time we went home actually, Lu," Edmund said to his sister.

She looked back at him.

"But I thought you loved it here," she said.

"I do. But I love home and our family as well." Lucy looked down. "They need us."

Lucy was about to speak when Reepicheep cleared his throat. Everyone looked down at him.

"Your Eminence," he said, bowing to Aslan. "Ever since I can remember, I have dreamt of seeing your country. I've had many great adventures in this world, but nothing has dampened that yearning. I know I am hardly worthy, but with your permission, I would lay down my sword for the joy of seeing your country with my own eyes."

"My country was made for noble hearts such as yours," Aslan told him, "no matter how small their bearers be."

"Your Majesty." Reep bowed again.