Chapter 29

"Onward!" Reepicheep said. "The thrill of the unknown lies ahead."

He lept off the boat. Caspian and Edmund climbed out next, followed by Lucy and Alex.

"Couldn't it have waited till the morning?" Eustace asked.

"There is no honor in turning away from adventure, lad."

"Listen," Lucy said. "Where is everyone?"

Caspian started up a flight of stairs, his friends following behind him. They suddenly turned around when they heard Eustace fall. They looked behind them to see the boy trying to get to his feet.

"And you're certain he's related by blood?" Caspian asked before continuing on.

Suddenly, a bell rang, causing everyone to jump. Caspian raised his crossbow, ready for an attack. Alex walked towards him and gently put her hand on his arm. He glanced at her, then lowered his weapon.

"Reepicheep," he said. "Stay here with Drinian's men and secure the place. We'll head on. If we don't come back by dawn, send a party."

"Yes, your Majesty."

Alex followed after Caspian with Lucy, Eustace, and Edmund following behind her.

"Alex," Caspian said, looking back at her. "Keep an ear out. There has to be someone here."

Alex nodded.The group slowly approached the town. Alex listened carefully. She could faintly hear people, but they were trying to be as quiet as possible. The elf raised an eyebrow in confusion.

Why are they so scared?

"Eustace," Alex whispered, causing the boy to jump and look at her. "Would you go and check that house for me? I thought I heard something move inside."

Eustace nodded and walked towards the building, shaking. He peered through a window for a moment before wiping his hands and hurrying towards the others.

"Yeah, looks like nobody is in," he said. "Do you think we should head back?"

Alex rolled her eyes and walked towards the others, who were approaching the town's meeting hall.

"Do you want to come here and guard... something?" Edmund asked Eustace.

"Ah, yes!" Eustace ran towards them. "Good idea, cousin. Very, uh, logical." Caspian exchanged a quick look with the others before walking to Eustace. He pulled out a dagger and handed it to the boy. "I've got it. I've got it. Don't worry."

Alex looked back at him and rolled her eyes. Edmund opened the door to the town hall and they stepped inside. They looked around them as they walked in. Cages hung from the ceiling.

"I'm ready to go when you are," Eustace called.

Edmund walked towards a podium, using his torch to see what was on it. The others joined him. There was a large book sitting open on the stand.

"Who are all these people?" Lucy asked, seeing names written in book.

"Why have they been crossed out?" Edmund added.

"It looks like some kind of fee."

"Slave traders," Caspian and Alex said.

Suddenly, a loud bell rang. Cries filled the room as ropes dropped down. Alex pulled out her swords when she saw men sliding down.

"Look out!" Caspian shouted, shooting one of the men.

Edmund and Lucy drew their weapons. Alex swung her swords at the men around her. While she fought off two men, she heard another come up behind her. She quickly knocked one man back before elbowing the approaching one in the face.