Chapter 35

The next morning, the Dawn Treader was sailing off towards Dark Island. Alex stood beside Edmund, Lucy, and Caspian at the back of the ship.

"So, what do you think is in there?" Tavros asked no one in particular.

"Our worst nightmares," Edmund replied.

"Our darkest wishes," Caspian added.

"Pure evil," Alex said.

"Tavros," Drinian said. "Unlock the armory."

"My lord," the minotaur responded with a nod.

"Archers, prepare yourselves!"

"Light the lanterns!"

Caspian looked at his friends.

"Let's get ready," he said with a sigh.

The group disappeared into their cabins. Alex gently shut her door and rested her head against it, releasing a shaky breath. She could feel the evil trying to get to her, trying to weaken her. She glanced down at her hand as she used her powers. The light was dim, but still there. Alex extinguished the light, wanting to save her strength.

She walked to her closet and pulled out her golden armor. She ran her fingers lightly over the metal, a small smile on her face. She changed into her light brown pants and white shirt before pulling the armor on. Alex looked in the mirror that hung on her wall. She could see that her face had grown a little pale. She sighed before strapping her swords to her back. As she stepped out of the room, she pulled her hair up into a high ponytail.

Alex spotted her friends at the end of the ship. She walked over to them, glancing around her at the crew. The men seemed a little anxious about what was about to come. Alex gently elbowed Caspian, who looked at her.

"You should say something to them," she whispered. "Something to give them courage."

Caspian slowly nodded and climbed up a set of stairs. The crew looked up at him, silencing falling over them.

"No matter what happens here," the king said, "every soul who stands before me has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader. Together we have traveled far. Together we have faced adversity. Together, we can do it again. So now is not the time to fall to fear's temptations. Be strong. Never give in. Our world, our Narnian live, depend on it. Think of the lost souls we're here to save. Think of Aslan. Think of Narnia."

Caspian quickly began to climb down to the main deck when a man shouted, "for Narnia!"

"For Narnia!" the crew shouted.

"For Narnia!" Lucy cried.

"For Narnia!" Alex called with a smile on her face.

"For Narnia!"

Alex met Caspian's eye. She smiled at him and nodded. He nodded back and went to join Drinian. The crew cheered for several moments, but it quickly died down as they entered the green fog. Alex shut her eyes and took a deep breath as she felt herself weaken even more. She looked around her as the green mist seeped onto the boat, floating between the men.

"I can't see a thing," she heard Drinian whisper to Caspian. She glanced up at them. "This fog's too thick."

A moment later, Caspian suddenly flinched and looked at something behind him. Alex raised an eyebrow and slowly walked up the stairs. Caspian jumped again and fear spread across his face.

"Caspian?" she whispered. He looked at her and she could see the fear in his eyes. "What was it, Caspian?"

"My father," the king replied quietly. "He was disappointed in me."