Chapter 21

The battle raged on around them. Caspian fought hard, killing Telmarines that tried to come near him.

Peter and Miraz had dueled, Peter being the victor but Caspian choose to keep his uncle alive. The Telmarine king was betrayed by Lord Sopespian, and was killed. Sopespian claimed the Narnians had killed their king and the battle had begun. Caspian had led a group of Narnians into the underground tunnels and knocked out the supporting beams, creating a hole in the battle field.

Caspian led the Narians up from the ground and came out behind the Telmarines, taking them by surprise. As the Narians fought the cavalry, the rest of the Telmarine army came forward. Their catapults had destroyed the How entrance, keeping the Narnians from retreating back inside. Susan had nearly fallen from the attack, but managed to land on a lower level of the How's structure.

Now, the battle still raged on. The Telmarines just seemed to keep coming. Caspian killed another Telmarine, but behind him, Trumpkin got knocked down. The prince picked up a dagger and threw it at the soldier that was about to strike the dwarf. Trumpkin looked at Caspian for a moment, silently thanking him.

Two soldiers came at Caspian, each wielding a shield and a sword. The two pushed Caspian back, make him fall into the small pit the Narnians had made. Caspian sat up and looked around. His sword was several feet away. In front of him, General Glozelle pulled out a large spear and started to run at Caspian.

However, the Telmarine general stopped, staring at Caspian with his weapon still up and ready. He was breathing heavily as he slowly lowered the spear. Suddenly, a giant tree root shot into the ground and wrapped around his waist, dragging him back and hitting him against the ground to knock him out. The root released him and retracted. Caspian got to his feet and stared in wonder as the Telmarines started to run away from the fight. Above him, giant trees were moving across the battlefield.

Peter held out his hand to Caspian and pulled him out of the pit. A few Telmarines tried to stop the trees, but their roots threw them away. The two boys turned to see Alex riding through the trees, taking the lead on her horse. Peter and Caspian smiled. The Narnia watched in awe as the trees moved towards the Telmarines.

"Lucy," was all Peter said.

The Telmarines fired more boulders at the Narnians, some skimming the trees. As one fell over, it seemed to roar in pain. The other trees shot their roots into the ground, moving far faster than the Telmarine soldier, and wrapped themselves around the catapults, crushing them.

"For Aslan!" Peter shouted.

He ran forward, the Narnians following after him. Ahead of them, Alex was riding behind the Telmarine troops, killing a few men at the back. The Telmarines sounded a horn and everyone began to retreat into the woods. The Narnians chased the men through the woods until they came to Beruna. The Telmarines came to a quick stop. Alex slowed her horse to a stop as well. She looked back at her friends and smiled at them.

On the other end of the bridge stood Lucy. She smiled and pulled out her dagger. Caspian looked at her siblings to try and figure out what was going on, but he could see the confusion on their faces as well. Alex, though, continued to smile.

Suddenly, a large lion walked to Lucy's side. The two looked at one another before looking back at the Telmarine army.

"Charge!" Sopespian shouted to his men.

The Telmarines started through the water and across the bridge. The army only made it halfway before the lion let out a loud roar. The Telmarines stopped for a moment. The river suddenly started to lower.

"What is happening?" someone shouted.

Upstream, a large wave was rushing towards them.

"Retreat! Retreat!" the Telmarines shouted.

As the wave drew closer, it formed into the figure of a large man. When he came to the bridge, the soldiers leapt off the bridge, trying to escape. He reached forward, taking the bridge into his hands and lifting it up, destroying it. Only Lord Sopespian remained on the bridge. The river god looked at the lord for a moment before swallowing the bridge. The water fell back into the river, taking the bridge and Lord Sopespian with it.

~

"Assemble on that bank!"

"You will not be harmed!"

"Surrender your weapons!"

"Take off the armor!"

The Telmarine soldiers waded through the water to the opposite side, giving their weapons to the Narnians and walked further onto the beach to take off their armor and hand it over. Alex walked through the water beside Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Caspian. They walked towards Aslan and Lucy. They all looked at the Great Lion for a moment before bowing before him.

"Rise, Alexandra. Rise, king and queens of Narnia," he said. Alex, Peter, Susan, and Edmund stood. "All of you."

The four looked down at Caspian, who was still kneeling. He looked up at Aslan.

"I do not think I am ready," he said.

"It's for that very reason I know you are."

Caspian slowly rose to his feet. Alex smiled at him before looking behind them. A group of mice were carrying another on a stretcher. She gasped when she saw it was Reepicheep. Lucy ran forward and knelt down beside him. She poured some of her magic medicine into his tiny mouth. Lucy stood up and backed away a little.

Reepicheep opened his eyes.

"Oh," he breathed, sitting up. "Thank you, your Majesty. Thank you." One of the mice helped him to his feet. Reepicheep looked up and saw Aslan standing before them. "Oh! Hail, Aslan! It is a great honor to be in- oh!" He suddenly stumbled forward. Alex suddenly noticed that his tail was gone. Reepicheep noticed as well and cried out in shock. "I am completely out of countenance. I must crave your indulgence for appearing in this unseemly fashion." He looked at Lucy. "Perhaps one more drop?"

"I don't think it does that," she apologized.

"You could have a go."

"It becomes you well, small one," Aslan chuckled.

"All the same, great king, I regret I must withdraw, for a tail is the honor and glory of a mouse."

"Perhaps you think too much of your honor, friend."

"Well, it's not just the honor. It's also great for balance. And climbing. And grabbing things."

"May it please Your High Majesty," a mouse said, "we will not bear the shame of wearing an honor denied to our chief."

"Not for the sake of your dignity," Aslan said to them, "but for the love of your people."

Alex smiled when she saw Reepicheep's tail suddenly grow back. The talking mouse grabbed his tail in amazement.

"Look!" he said. "Thank you, thank you, my liege! I will treasure it always. From this day forward, it will serve as a great reminder of my huge humiliation."

Alex laughed, causing the mice to jump slightly, still not used to her laughing.

"Now," Aslan said. "Where is this dear little friend you've told me so much about?"

They all looked towards Trumpkin, who was helping collect weapons from the Telmarines. Upon hearing his nickname, he turned around and stared at Aslan. He slowly walked towards them and knelt down as Aslan rose to his feet. The Great Lion roared, shocking the poor dwarf.

"Do you see him now?" Lucy asked with a laugh.

The dwarf nodded, breathing heavily. Alex chuckled at him. Lucy walked back to Aslan's side and hugged him. The Lion smiled. Peter, Susan, and Edmund ran forward and hugged Aslan as well. Alex smiled at them, glad to see them reunited with the Great Lion that they all loved.