Chapter 28

Alex stood with Lucy at the back of the ship. The two girls chuckled as Edmund and Caspian made their way to the lower deck. The kings had decided to have a duel.

"Boys and their strange interests," Lucy laughed.

Alex smiled and nodded. She watched as the two kings grabbed their swords and put their vests to the side.

"Have you told him yet?" Lucy asked with a smile.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, come on, Alex! Have you told Caspian that you like him yet?"

"No, I haven't told him. And keep your voice down, Lu."

Lucy rolled her eyes.

"When are you going to tell him? He's still single! And you nearly died fighting a Dark Elf!"

"I will tell him when I find the right time, though I don't know when that will be. It may never happen, Lu. If we end up just being friends so the rest of our lives, so be it. Besides, Caspian's a king and he's looking for a princess to marry. Not an elf."

"You'll have to tell him at some point, Alex. If you don't, you may regret it for the rest of your life. I've never see you this happy and I want you to stay that way."

Alex smiled at her.

"Thanks, Lu." Her ears suddenly perked up when she heard a familiar tune from the other end of the ship. She chuckled. "Sounds like Reepicheep is singing again."

"Reepicheep sings?"

"A little. Though he only seems to know one song."

"Where is he?"

"At the front of the ship."

"I'm going to go see him," Lucy said, standing up. She glanced down at the lower deck and smiled. "First I've got to figure away to get around that duel."

Alex chuckled and the girl disappeared from view. The elf rose to her feet and watched the fight below her. Edmund had one hand behind his back as he fought Caspian. The crew cheered as they watched the fight. Their blades against one another over and over again. Soon, their blades were at each other's chests. Alex smiled as the crew clapped.

"You've grown stronger, my friend," Caspian said, patting Edmund on the shoulder.

"Seems I have."

"You two up for another round?" Alex said from her position above them.

Everyone looked up at her. Caspian and Edmund looked at one another before smiling.

"If you're up for it," Edmund said.

Alex smiled. She jumped over the railing in front of her and down to the lower deck. When she landed, she put her hair up in a messy bun. She pulled out her swords, which were attached to her hips. She spun them once in her hands before nodding to her friends. Edmund was the first to move, swinging his sword at her head. Alex stepped back quickly and raised her blades to block Caspian's.

The two kings sent blow after blow Alex's way, but she blocked every swing. Caspian and Edmund swung their swords at Alex's chest. Alex brought up her arms and blades clashed. The crew suddenly gasped in surprise.

Alex had a sword at her throat.

She looked at Caspian, who smirked slightly at her. She smirked back at him. She suddenly bent backwards. Moving at lightning speed, she tripped Caspian, causing him to fall. Edmund moved forward but stopped when he found Alex's blade at his chest. Her other sword was pointed at Caspian.

For a moment, the only sound that could be heard was the sound of water hitting to boat. The men suddenly burst into applause. Alex moved her blades and put them away.

"All right!" Drinian shouted to the crew. "Back to work!"

As the crew returned to their positions, Alex reached down and pulled Caspian to his feet.

"Nicely done," she said to them.

"Thanks, Alex," Edmund said. "I'm going to find Lucy. I'll see you two later."

Caspian and Alex nodded. The young prince turned and walked away. Alex moved to the side of the ship and put her arms on the rail after pulling down her hair. Caspian moved to stand next to her.

"Do you think we'll find the lords, Alex?" Caspian asked.

She looked at him.

"Do you believe we won't?" she countered.

"I'm not sure what to think."

"Well. I know for a fact that whatever happens on this journey, whether we find the seven lords or not, I will follow you wherever you go."

Caspian looked at the elf and smiled.

"Thanks, Alex."

She nodded.

"Yes, no thanks to you," a voice said. Alex looked over her shoulder to see Eustace standing with Lucy and Edmund. She smiled slightly and tapped Caspian's arm. He looked at her and she motioned towards the cousins. "It's lucky I have an iron constitution."

"As effervescent as ever, I see," Reepicheep said, coming towards them. "Find your sea legs?"

"Never lost them. Simply dealing with the shock of things. Mother says I have an acute disposition, due to my intelligence."

Edmund nearly choked on his water.

"I don't think he has a cute anything," Reep commented.

Caspian and Alex chuckled before walking towards the group.

"I'll have you know," Eustace said, standing and walking away from them, "as soon as we find civilization, I'm contacting the British Consul. Have you all arrested for kidnapping."

Alex smirked when Eustace ran into Caspian.

"Kidnapping, is it?" Caspian asked. "That's funny. I thought we saved your life."

"You held me against my will!"

Reepicheep laughed.

"Did I?"

"In, what I must say, are the most unhygienic quarters. It's like a zoo down there."

"He's quite the complainer, isn't he?" Reep said to Lucy.

"He's just warming up," Eustace said.

"Land ho!"

Everyone looked up. Caspian turned quickly and moved to the upper deck to get a better view. Alex looked out over the water. In the distance, she could see an island.

~

"The Lone Islands," Drinian said. "The port of Narrowhaven."

"Strange," Alex said, looking at the island. "Not a Narnian flag in sight." It was times like these when her elven eyesight was helpful.

Caspian nodded and handed his telescope off the Edmund.

"But the Lone Islands have always been Narnia's," Edmund said before looking through the telescope."

"Seems suspicious," Drinian said.

"I say we prepare a landing party." Alex bit her lip slightly. "Drinian?"

"Forgive me, your Majesty, but the chain of command starts with King Caspian on this ship."

"Right."

Alex put a comforting hand on the boy's shoulder. He glanced at her and she gave him a small smile. Edmund smiled back.

"We'll use longboats," Caspian said. "Drinian, pick some men and come ashore."

"Aye."

"Tavros."

Caspian moved around them to help prepare the boats.

"Man the longboats," Tavros called. "Furl the sail and prepare to drop anchor."