Chapter 22

The next day, the Narnians returned to the Telmarine Castle. The people there were awaiting their return and welcomed them. Word had reached them that Narnian had won the battle against Miraz and that Miraz was dead, leaving Caspian as King. After a few hours of preparation, the great hall was set up for the coronation ceremony.

Alex had helped Susan and Lucy get ready, helping them pick out beautiful dresses. Susan wore a red dress with golden sleeves and Lucy wore a light pink dress. The two girls helped Alex get ready in return. Alex wore a dress that had a light purple top and a white skirt. There was a golden belt around her waist, separating the white and purple. Her sleeves were also half purple, with a gold band above her elbow before the silk turned white and flowy. All three girls decided to keep their hair down.

When the coronation started, Alex stood beside Lucy and Edmund while Peter and Susan stood on the opposite side of the platform

When the coronation started, Alex stood beside Lucy and Edmund while Peter and Susan stood on the opposite side of the platform. The room grew quiet as the doors opened to reveal Aslan and Caspian. The two walked down the aisle. Caspian looked a little nervous, so Alex sent him a reassuring smile. Caspian walked up to the throne and turned around. Aslan looked at the crowd full of Narnians and Telmarines before him.

"It has been many years since Narnia has had a true king," Aslan spoke. "Narnians and Telmarines lived separately, living in fear of one another. Now, when Narnia was in danger, one man came forth to lead its people. With the guidance of Narnia's kings and queens of old and the help of Narnia's guardian, he was able to save Narnia and bring peace between our people. Now, he shall continue to bring peace to Narnia, as its king."

The lion nodded to Peter. The blond nodded back and took the gold crown in his hands. He walked towards Caspian, who knelt down. Peter gently placed the crown on top of Caspian's head. The two boys looked at one another for a moment, smiling. Peter stepped away and Caspian rose to his feet.

"I present to you King Caspian," Aslan said, "the tenth." He turned around to look at Caspian. "Once a king of Narnia, always a king of Narnia. May your wisdom grace us until the stars rain down from the heavens."

He looked at Alex and nodded. Alex smiled and walked forward a little so she stood beside the Great Lion.

"As the Guardian of Narnia's Kings and Queens," she said, "I pledge my allegiance to you, King Caspian, to protect you and Narnia's people to the best of my abilities, no matter the circumstances. I shall stand by you, as I have done for Narnia's previous Kings and Queens, until the end of my days."

Caspian nodded to her with a smile. Alex returned to her spot beside the younger rulers as Aslan turned back to the crowd.

"Long live King Caspian!" he proclaimed.

~

That night, a great celebration was held at the castle. Some people celebrated inside the large banquet hall while others celebrated in the streets and the courtyard. Narnians and Telmarines taught one another their styles of dance. The kings and queens of Narnia danced alongside them. Alex, though, sat off to the side of the room. She had talked with a few of her friends before they were dragged off into the dancing.