Chapter Three: Walk You Home?

Rory
I get up to start the dishes, but mom takes them out of my hands.

"Go sit down. Relax. We will clean up."

I know what she's doing. Her and Luke do the same thing every year. They insist on leaving Jess and I alone. Thinking we'll talk. But we won't. We can't. Not after what happened.

Jess
I'm sitting on the floor playing with Beth when Rory comes in and sits on the couch. I want to climb up there and sit with her and tell her I'm sorry. But she doesn't want to hear it so I just pick up another doll. "What's this ones name?" I ask holding up a redheaded doll.

A few hours later, Liz and TJ left and Lizzy had fallen asleep on Luke.

"We should get going," Rory says standing up. She starts to reach for Lizzy.

"She can stay here tonight so you don't have to carry her all the way home. I mean you are coming to the dinner for breakfast in the morning." Luke says before she could pick Lizzy up.

"Yeah, okay. That's fine. " Rory says.
Luke and Lorielai smile. From what Luke tells me, they both love having Lizzy around.

"I should get going too. Liz said Doula is looking forward to me staying the weekend." Turning to Rory I say, "Maybe I could walk you home? You know, to make sure Kirk doesn't bother you. "

"I'd like that." She replied.

                                                      Rory
I stand on the porch waiting on Jess to get his jacket. He wants to walk me home. I don't know why.  The idea that he may want to talk makes me kinda nervous.

He comes out and smiles.  "Ready?" He asks.

No.

"Yeah. " I say.