Chapter Four: 5 Years

Rory
We walk for a while in complete silence. Like we are strangers.

Then Jess stops.

"I'm sorry," he says.  "You don't have to worry about it happening again. You know if that's why you avoid me when I come to town."

"I'm sorry too. It shouldn't have come out like that. I think I said it more for me, than to push you away." I pause, "It was a good kiss."

He doesn't say anything. He just stands there looking at me. I don't really blame him.  I mean when you kiss a girl and she tells you she pregnant with another mans kid there's not much to say. Even after 5 years.

I turn and start walking away. I feel someone grab my hand and pull me back. Suddenly, he's kissing me.

                                                Jess

She's walking away.  The only thought going through my brain is that I want to kiss her. So I do. And to my surprise, she kisses me back.

After a moment, she steps away. She smiles at her shoes, then at me.

"Goodnight Jess." She says as she slips into the diner and up the stairs to her apartment.

As I walk to Liz's, I can't shake the goofy grin that also appears when I think about her.

Rory
I roll over and look at the clock. 1:38. I've been I bed for over two hours and I can't stop, thinking about him. He kissed me. Even after all we've been through, he wanted to kiss me. And I kissed him back. I wonder if he'll come for breakfast in the morning. Slowly I fall asleep, for the first time in years, wishing I'll see Jess the next day.