*Chapter 1*

~Zora~

"I'll see you later Tisha. You sure you want to come back to this hell hole tomorrow? We don't really have a choice do we", I said laughing. "I guess we don't". "You need a ride? Naw I'll walk it's a nice night anyway. Alright girl I'll see you tomorrow."

I locked up the pizza shop before walking the mile or so home. Walking home in the middle of the night would scare most scare girls but not me, I was born and raised in this neighborhood I know everyone here just like they know me. And I carry mace and a switch blade so no one messes with me at all. I should already have a car by now, but things don't turn out the way they are supposed to so I am stuck walking till I can save up enough money to get one. I wasn't more than 3 blocks from the house when Natalie ran up to me.

"Girl what are you doing out here this late night? It's daddy! Not again! She's hiding in the closet and he is threatening to take the doors off the hinges. Go down to Kim's house and I'll come get you when it's safe. Zora he's so angry and I don't know why. Just go to Kim's okay. Okay she said going to her friend's house."

This seems to be a daily occurrence in our home. Ever since mama ran off with that man my father has turned into a complete monster drinking all the time and doing things that he shouldn't when it comes to his daughters. Well mostly Diana, he shows her the most "special attention". I braced myself before going into the house because I know it's going to be a fight.

"Diana Jean open this got damn right now! No!! I said open the damn door! Daddy! Zora where you been? He said grabbing me by the hair? Daddy I've been at work see I said showing him the uniform. You smell like pizza he said throwing me into the wall. I know daddy, look I'll get her out the closet you go rest."

He stepped back from the door and looked at me. "You look like your mother" he said stumbling out the room. "Diana it's me open the door" I said after waiting a few minutes for him to leave her room. "Is he really gone? Yeah he's gone come out". The door knob turned and she peaked out. I could already see that he had hit her a few times. "Can you close the door" she said? Yeah she emerged from the closet half naked with nothing on but her underwear. "What happened" I said looking at her? "And where are your clothes?"

"I went to hang out with Nisha and Ja'von down to the park. We were just chilling watching the dudes play basketball. I knew he would be home soon and I didn't want to leave Natalie home by herself so I left early and came home. I promise Zo I was home before he even got here. He came home on one and I guess I was the target tonight. He yanked me off the couch and threw me against the wall and then told me to take off my clothes. When i didn't he started ripping them off of me."

I shook my head locking at the huge purple bruise on her back. He targets her the most because Diana Jean doesn't hold her tongue, she'll pop off real quick, father or not when she feels disrespected she lets it be known. Daddy on the other hand was a strict disciplinarian as a result of his military training, he didn't take to well to her how would you say self-expression. He and mom would fight all the time because he felt she should stay in a girls place and mom knew that he was afraid of her. In which he probably should be I mean Diana Jean although she looks sweet and innocent is a little crazy.

"He didn't touch you did he? No he just ripped my dress she said picking up the dress to show me. Zo when are we going to leave and go find mom? Diana you know we can't go find mom she moved and she doesn't care about us anymore. Well can we at least go to grandma in Texas I am sure she'd help us. I just need a little more time DJ, I only have $600 saved and we need more than that go. I got money if that's what we are worried about. We're not using your college fund Diana! But it's enough to get us away Zora! Look I'll take care of it okay, don't worry. You keep saying that and this keeps happening. "