*Chapter 5*

~Natalie~

It's been about a week since we got kicked out of the hotel and things have been well for a lack of better words shitty as hell. The night of my birthday we got a room so that we could shower up real well and get a good night of sleep because we knew we wouldn't get that anytime soon. The next day we set out to try and find a new place to live, but that fell through when every apartment wanted first and last month's rent upfront. And the shelters only had room for one or two of us. Zo was like "hell no we ain't splitting up." We found the hotel that was close to the strip and parked at the back where no one would see the car. Zo was still adamant on me going to school so she found me a library to do my work at, while she and DJ went and looked for work. They're just doing odd jobs here and there on the strip. I don't even know what that means because they never really tell me where they get the money from. They just say "Natalie keep your nose in the books and let us worry!", but really how am I supposed to do that when we are homeless?

Today was no different we were on the strip I sat outside the waffle house while they did what it was that they did and sketched the strip up close. It was so much more exciting than being a mile away from it. The people were everywhere literally, taking pictures, and awing over how big the building are. From where I was sitting I had a clear view of the Bellagio and its water feature. For the last two hours every 30 minutes I watched as the water shot up into the air and then cascaded down to the pool below it. It reminded me of our current situation, although we weren't rich by any mean we weren't poor either. The water rushing back towards the pool is where we are in life right now, rushing head first into life.

The water feature was so mesmerizing that I didn't even hear the woman speaking to me. "Huh I am sorry you say something? I said how much for the drawings? Oh they aren't for sell just a hobby you know. They're great though I mean you don't meet young artists who have raw talent like this she said picking up one of my drawings. Thanks. Are you out here alone? No my sisters are out here somewhere sightseeing. Sisters, it's three of you? Yeah how did you know? Just a lucky guess! How much for you to do a sketch of me? I don't know you really want me to draw you? Sure! Okay 20! 20 for a sketch! Yeah. Cool" she said handing me the money.

She sat next to me but a little further down and I began to sketch her. Her skin tone was fair yet complex, I could tell that she was mixed with something, maybe black or some type of Caribbean. She had long brownish blonde hair that stopped mid back, Almond shaped brown eyes, and legs for days. Normally I wouldn't notice another woman's legs because I don't make it habit looking at them. But she had gorgeous legs, like model or dancer legs. She was probably one of those showgirls we see in the big billboards down here. I was intrigued by her because of the energy she exuded. She seemed warm and giving yet mysterious and dangerous. You could tell from the way she carried herself that she wasn't to be played with. As I sketched her I took notice of the slight dimple in her right cheek and the small scar on her left leg just above her knee. That's the beauty in being good at art you learn people without them speaking, I could see that she'd had a rough past and that she had made it through to the other side.

It took me a little over 20 minutes to do a rough sketch of her but I felt like it was a real work of art, probably some of my best sketching to date. "What do you think it's a rough version but I can clean it up for you? Oh my god this is...this is beautiful. Thanks" I said giving her a small smile. "Are you trained? Trained" I said looking at her confused. "I mean did you go to school for art or something? No I got this talent from my mom, she was an art teacher. Wow she must be very proud of you? Hmph I wouldn't know" I said before seeing Zora out the corner of my eye

"Diamond! Zora! You two know each other? You could say that Zo said as her and DJ approached me. Are these your sisters? Yeah this is Diana and that's Natalie. Diana Ross and Natalie Cole she said smiling yeah I told you she had a thing for names. DJ and Natalie this is Diamond I met her a few weeks back in the mall. Hello! DJ just looked her up and down and nodded. Your sister is mad talented! Yeah we know! Here this is for you she said giving me a 50. No I can't take this you already gave me 20. This is more than just a sketch it's a master piece" she said smiling at me and taking her sketch. "Zora let me talk to you for a minute."