*Chapter 8*

~Zora~

It was a quarter to 10 and we were getting ready to head down to the Bunny room for the nights festivities. Natalie was knee deep in art materials with her head phones on not paying attention to what DJ and I were doing. How are we going to get past her wearing this DJ said as we stood in the bathroom doing our hair and makeup? Here put this on I said handing her the robe. We'll wear it out the door and then back in so she won't see us. You ready! Yeah let's go.

Natalie I said touching her shoulder. Huh! We're leaving we should be back by the latest 3 okay. Yeah sure you know if they have locked up the cafeteria yet? I don't think so why? I need more space to spread out and they have a lot of tables. I don't think they have come on we'll walk you down there I said helping her grab her stuff. DJ go on and I'll meet you there okay. Don't take too long I don't want to beat a bitch down. You promised! Only to get the weed! That was a one-time thing too you know I don't normally give you that. You should it really loosened you up Zo, she said laughing. Been there done that DJ, weed and my temper don't get along. Naw that's alcohol and your temper, your temper and weed are just fine. Go on I said waving her away.

DJ went one way and Natalie and I went the other towards the kitchen only to see that it was locked. Ugh! I didn't think they locked it Natalie. Its okay I'll just go back to the room and sketch outside. Natalie it's 10 at night you can't do that look maybe you can sit here I said motioning to the open space of the entry way. Out here I'd feel bad if I got charcoal or paint on these floors. I sighed deeply trying to think where she could to finish the work.

Pss...Pss I heard someone call from the stairs. I looked over to this girl calling us over to her. Hey you Zora! Yeah! Hi I am Amethyst she said extending her small hand to shake mine! Let me guess your favorite color is Purple? She laughed a little before responding. No but my birthday is in February. What are yall doing in the main part of the house at this time? We thought the cafeteria may still be open she wanted somewhere to spread out and do her art project. She not working tonight? No I said shaking my head. She gave me this distinct stare before nodding. Oh here she can come up here she said moving to the side so we could go up the stairs. Isn't this Diamond's area? It is but she lets me use it sometime when I want to get away and call my daughter. You have a daughter? Yeah I do her name is Na'lani she's back in California with my mom. California that's where we're from too. Really what part? Bakersfield! Oh wow yall really did run away didn't you, she said laughing. Yeah it was time for us to go for real.

I don't mean to be nosy but if you have a daughter why are you here? It's a long story but I originally moved out here with my boyfriend he had started his own construction business and business was thriving over here so we moved. Things were good for the first year and then the construction business went downhill and he started drinking heavily, which lead to the abuse. I stayed for 4 more months till I couldn't anymore. I eventually ended up at this homeless shelter trying to figure out my next move because I wasn't going back to him. How did you end up here then we said walking towards the door at the end of the hall opposite of Diamond and Nicoli's area. I finally landed a job as a cocktail waitress at one of the casinos. I met Sapphire the same night, she was at the casino with Nicioli for some big time meeting. So Diamond didn't bring you in? Not initially it was Sapphire who saw me and thought I'd make a good addition to the ranch she said that it didn't have enough diversity. Diversity! Yeah as in more light brown women. Oh okay I said nodding to her.

Here is the room she said opening the door to a huge room. What is this room? It was originally a baby nursery but Diamond lost the baby so she turned it into her secret study. Baby Nursey, Natalie said looking around the room? Yeah if you ever find out your pregnant this is where she stores all of the clothes and stuff. She'll try to get you out before Nicoli finds out. Why would we have to leave Natalie said confused. Don't worry about it Nat.