Part 24

Hazel:

"Update time!" I clasped my hands together as I walked into our little detective room.

Jane and Trish were already there, as I had just dropped Isaac and Harry off to 'nursery' together. Harry didn't exactly like Isaac, but it was at least something.

After I had retrieved the files, Jane uploaded them onto a USB stick and had been researching up with all the new numbers and leads which came with them.

"I've found something." Jane blatantly stated, not looking up from her laptop.

I looked over at Trish, my heart pounding to see she was nervously watching Jane.

God, I could tell it wasn't just me who wanted to crack this case.

We all sat around the computer, making sure the door was locked.

"Look."

I covered my mouth with my hand as 20 pictures appeared of female bodies, words carved into them with a knife.

"Oh Jesus..." I breathed out, finding it hard to look at.

"They're the bodies of the victims right?" Trish asked, clearly intrigued.

"Yes, they are. And do you notice a similarity in them?" I examined them closely. The writing was the same in each, the word 'STOP' was in big letters over the stomach, and a smiley face had been drawn at the bottom.

I told Jane all this, growing confused when she shook her head.

"Closer." Neither me or Trish knew what she was on about.

"On each body the same letters have been carved. Really tiny, but you can see them." She pointed at the screen, having to zoom in. And sure enough, she was right. Although it was hard to tell what letters they were as the blood and cuts weren't 100% clean.

A H R E R O F R S I T D N A Y H R V R E

A lot of letters, and a lot of bullshit to me.

Remembering the sequence, I quickly grabbed a board marker and scribbled it down on a bit of paper. I pushed myself back, pinning it on the wall.

"What does it mean?" I asked quietly, trying to form a word.

We all stared at it, not being able to think of an answer.

"Maybe it's in a different language?" Trish asked, her voice behind me as I stared at the words.

"Maybe..." Jane trailed off.

I turned around, brushing my hair back in annoyance.

"What else did we find?" My body collapsed back onto my chair.

"Well we discovered that Gale and Harry used to go to the same mental constitution when they were kids." My eyes widened at Jane's words.

"What? Then why doesn't Harry remember Gale? And why did Gale end up there?" This investigation was never ending.

"Brain testing. He forgot pretty much everything and it changed him. And Gale...according to what I found Gale attempted to kill his step dad. So was sent there."