Chapter 17: To Infinity and Beyond That

∞∞∞∞∞∞

Chapter 17: To Infinity and Beyond That

Megan Dalton

            You know what, being sick sucks so bad. Oh wait, let me rephrase that. Being sick and stuck in a fucking hospital is the worst thing that could ever happen to you. I can’t even do what I want for there are many tubes connected to my body and I can’t even move freely! Another addition to this worst feeling is that nurses come and go to check if my heartbeat is normal. Seriously, why was I cursed with this?

Anyways, Roy visited earlier this week to check how I was doing (not to mention, he needed to drag that bitch of a girlfriend he has). He visited at the third day (which was Thursday) I was hospitalized. Oh, the joy of being in a better jail with sick people in it and being stuck here since Tuesday. Anyways, back to Davis. He learned about my condition and he was really sorry (He says this now? What the actual fuck?) It was because he broke my heart. Heh, as if it’s going to take my Cardiomyopathy away. He told me that he shouldn’t have broken up with yours truly. But he did. And it’s pretty much too late since I’ve got Matthew with me.

Speaking of my boyfriend—or so I thought because as much as I can recall, he broke up with me—he was always there for me with the exception of his duty calls to his own family. And currently, he is beside me and he brought along his laptop (Woah, a MacBook!) and made me choose a movie to watch.

“Oh! Let's watch this one please!” My hands point to my favourite movie (currently), Frozen. His face contorts.

“Not again!” he exclaims. What is the problem with Frozen? It’s such a great movie, you know? Is anyone in favour of my argument? Yeah, of course everyone loves Anna, Elsa (my favourite!), Kristof, Olaf and Sven!

“Fine!” I snap, irritated because I can’t watch my favourite movie. I scroll through his movies and one caught my eye. Its title was The Lost Valentine.

“What about that?” I point out the movie to him. He gladly clicks it. Maybe he’s so happy that finally I picked a movie that has no relation to Disney. You know, you’re never too old for a Disney movie. The lessons that they convey to their viewers are very inspirational. And this is why Frozen is my favourite. You don’t really need a prince or a knight in shining armour to save you. You should never underestimate yourself because you fear that you’ll be rejected and hated by everybody. Okay, that was pretty deep, Megan.

“Honestly, I haven’t watched this one yet.” Matt comments as the introduction was on the screen. I decided not to reply because I want to listen and watch attentively. The movie starts with an old lady going to the US Navy train station (or that’s what I call it) on Valentine’s Day and she sees a picture of three marines from the 19-forgotten days and the background has a woman and her husband hugging. It was her and her husband. She smiles as she remembers those days. There was this letter she gave to her husband, Neil, before he left. It was in a heart-shaped paper. It reads “Now you have my heart. Keep it next to yours and bring it safely back to me. I’ll always love you. –Caroline.” Seriously, that was the sweetest thing ever. The husband never came back and was declared MIA.

The next scene was a news anchor/reporter wanting to know more about Caroline and Neil’s love story. Then the story goes on and on and they found her husband’s body in the Philippines.  Just watch it, okay? I’m not good at explaining movies. I really cried at the end because Caroline was dancing to their theme song and then her husband magically appeared behind her, dancing with her. All throughout the movie, I shed a tear. It’s no joke to go to the train station every Valentine’s Day hoping that your seized loved ones would come back. It’s like waiting for a ship in the airport.