Chapter 19: Gold String

Megan Dalton

                I picked a dress that Matt would want me to wear. Of course, I let him go home ahead of me because I want to surprise him on what I’d wear. Because today’s Heart’s Day, everybody’s in a great mood—even me. Usually, I’d be bitter because of what happened with my father but now, I’m happy because of one person I love—Matt.

                It’s a miracle that I got the chance to meet someone who would put the brightest smile on my face. If I’d be hearing this from Nicole, Queen or Wynn, I’d be laughing my ass of saying that love never lasts. Now, I’m not even laughing because I know it was true—love lasts when you’re with the right person who treats you like you’re the only girl in the world. I saw his love in the sense that he was there every time I am attacked by my disease. He’s always supporting me and I love him for that.

                My mom does my hair. She’s really is kinder to me this time. Maybe she knows that it’s today and she normally celebrates this by sulking and weeping in her room but now she’s helping me get ready. She’s making a waterfall braid in my hair and she plans to curl it afterwards. I can’t wait to see the effect of this. Oh and my mom’s a hairstylist once—for the musical Mamma Mia—when she was still on her beautiful days.

                When she finishes curling, she gasps. “It’s gorgeous, Meggy. I love it already!”

                I smile, “Thanks, mom.” She also did my make-up and she just did it natural claiming that her daughter doesn’t need make-up to cover up. Is she listening to that song by One Direction again?

                I get up from my seat and turn to the cream tube gown that was resting in my queen-sized bed. It doesn’t have that sequined all-over look nor the harassing plunging neckline. It has a heart-shaped neckline and has a darker cream-colored belt surrounding it and has a beautiful detail in the middle. It was simple but when I looked at it in the boutique earlier, it took my breath away. Right from that moment, I knew that this was the gown I’d pick. There were gowns I liked too. There was this blue one but it was glittering in the dark. I did not want to be noticed though. I just want my Matt to be the one beside me.

                “Come on, pumpkin. Dress up.” I nod at my mother. I do as what I was told. The frame of the gown hugs me perfectly and I then put on my gold strappy heels. I really looked taller this time. I look in the mirror and there’s this girl clad in a cream gown staring back at me. She looks nothing like Megan Dalton. Well, she does resemble me but she was much more beautiful ad fuller. Wait, am I complementing myself?

                I smile to myself. This might be the best Valentine’s Day I’ll spend. “You’re really beautiful, Megs. Awwe, you’re so big. I remember the time when you were still this small and you keep on snuggling up to me and your dad and you keep fighting over that robot Ethan has. Ooh, my baby’s now a lady.” I smile and hug my mother.

                “I’ll always be your baby, mom. I’m never going away, never ever.” She’s teary-eyed by my statement. She puts on my black detailed mask.

                “Well, look at you, big sis. You’re so… smoking hot.” My mom and I glare at him. “What, I’m joking! But seriously, if you weren’t my sister, I’d hit on you.” He winks.

                “Ethan!” I fume at him jokingly. He laughs. “I’m kidding. Come on, Meg. You look pretty, okay. But I think Macey’s hotter.”