Chapter 26: Breaking Paul Matthew

Megan Dalton

                “Okay Ms. Dalton, you’re good to go!” Doctor Fischer, my heart surgeon told me. I’m happy that I’m finally leaving this four-walled white room I’ve been staying on for three freaking weeks.

                “It’s a good operation, Ash. The organ fit in well in your body.” Dad tackles me into a hug, for which I am grateful for. Father’s hugs, they’re the best of the best hugs. I feel great now. No more cardiomyopathy, no more sickness! I’ll be as free as the lion to explore the deep jungle now. There’s no stopping me.

                “Well that escalated quickly.” I muttered. I stood up, hand-ironing my blue sundress. I was smiling ear to ear. So, this is what they call freedom. I like it so fucking much.

                We left the hospital at around eleven. When we got to dad’s apartment, I saw that all things in the living room were gone. Wait, what the hell’s happening? I checked my room, my stuff were not there too. Shit, are they sending me back to New York? No! No fucking way!

                “You’re sending me back to NYC? Dad, mom, you can’t do that!” I screamed out and the both of them laughed. “What?! You think it’s funny? No way! You two are the worst!” But my parents just laughed harder. Wow, and they say they’re mature.

                “Why would we send you back there?” Dad said, clutching his stomach. Great, why did they have to be so compatible in front of me but then think that they’re oh so not for each other. I mean, are they that blind to see each other’s love?

                “Because my stuff isn’t here?  Dad, you told me mom’s also going home to NYC today! Hello? Duh!” My mom snorted. “Meggy, your dad bought a house just near your school for you to have easier access. As for me, I am going back without you. I’m sure the house is a mess now.” I chuckled. How stubborn can I be?

                “Stupid you, Meg,” I mumbled. My mom elbowed my dad. “Now that trait didn’t come from me.” Dad elbows her back. “Shut it Carla.” He said quite annoyed. My mom giggled (she giggles?), put on her sunglasses and wheeled out her suitcase. Like a boss mom, I like it.

                “Just don’t mind your mother.” Dad sighs, a smile appearing on his face. And now, I feel like it’s the right time to summon my inquisitiveness.

                “Do you still love her?” I asked him. He looked at me as if I was crazy. “What?” His cheeks reddened a bit. And so he still has those feelings.

                “Dad, just tell me.” I entwined my hand with his. “You know, mom’s unpredictable.”

                He sighs. “Okay, okay. Yes, I still do? Now happy, kiddo?” Dad confesses and I punch the air.