Chapter 27: I Feel Like I'm a Human Tissue

(Please don’t read if you don’t wanna be spoiled in the TFIOS movie. If you don’t mind, then okay go on.)

Chapter 27: I Feel Like I’m a Human Tissue

Matt Hendricks

                “Come in.” I told the one who knocked on my bedroom door. I’m back at home now and I quit school because of my cancer. Mom wants to take care of me. One good thought about quitting school is that I’m excluded from all the projects and the homework (plus, seeing Katanya Shieldings) but it also has its downfalls. No more of those lunch table moments where we just laugh out loud and be ourselves. Sigh, I already hate seeing the same people every day. I hope the one who knocked isn’t one of my sisters or my mother.

                The door opened and I saw Mrs. Dalton, Meg’s mother. Wait, didn’t she tell me to just call her Carla? Well, this isn’t something I see every day. Wish granted, Matt.

                “Oh, Mrs. Dalton, hey.” I greet her, plastering a faint smile on my face. She smiles back at me as she closes the door. Why does that smile ring a bell?

                Of course, she is Meg’s mother after all. No wonder they look the same. Same red hair, same cheekbones, same adorable smile and same beautiful face. Why am I so nostalgic when it comes to her? I wish she didn’t have to leave me.

                “I heard.” I knew what she meant. I just smiled sadly at her. “I’m so sorry.” She sat at the chair beside my bed and takes out her phone. She shows me a picture.

                It’s a picture of Meg…

                Wait… She’s wearing a hospital gown. And she looks weak. What happened to her in California? Did she get hurt? Raped? Did she have another spasm? Did she have another cardiac arrest? What the hell happened?

                “What happened to her?” I inquired. She’s dead as we speak, isn’t she? No, she can’t die yet! I will die first. Wait that came out so wrong. Erase that from your minds please. Thank you. I wanna grow old with her, see those silver streaks in between her hair and see that beautiful face of hers every day and kiss those lips I only have permission to kiss.

                Wait, what if somebody had kissed her there? Shit, stop Matt.

                “She had a heart transplant, honey. But she’s okay. She’s a strong girl.” Phew, good news: She lives. Bad news: I’m dying. Isn’t that a lovely pair? No? Suit yourself nigga.

                “That’s just awesome.” I told Carla. “She’s okay now. It’s amazing!” I wish she would finally lock her phone so I wouldn’t yearn for her embrace again. She finally did. Thank you universe!

                “She has a message for you, though.” Mrs. Dalton bit her lip. Wait, this isn’t going anywhere good, right? Shit, this has to be the worst plot twist of my whole 17 years of existence here on this planet. What did I ever do to deserve this?