Chapter 36: My Matt

Chapter 36: My Matt

Megan Dalton

When I woke up the next morning, I felt refreshed. Two weeks ago, Matt Hendricks proposed. And it has been two weeks and two days since he was admitted to the hospital and yes, he hasn't healed. Apparently his cancer worsens by the minute. But now, I think he's trying his best to fight it.

I picked up my phone from the bedside table and illuminated the screen. It revealed my own edit which was our picture with the lyrics of Photograph by Ed Sheeran. The memories of the photo was precious. You know why? Because it was the day we had our first ever photo where the two of us were truly, madly, deeply in love with each other. It was captured in the cliff, right when sunset came.

It was already 10:30 in the morning. I hurriedly went out bed and showered. I need to visit my Matt. After showering, I grabbed some leggings and a white Lacoste dress shirt from my walk-in closet. I paired it with my black dolly shoes. Finally, I combed my hair down and looked at myself in the mirror.

Maybe I should dye my hair back to red. I don't look like myself, really but I don't know, maybe I'll stay blonde for the meantime.

When I went to the first floor of the house, I was greeted by Macey and Ethan sleeping on the couch. Phew, it's a good thing they still have their clothes on.

I grab a granola bar from the counter and composed a note to Ethan.

Eth. Went to Matt's. Not eating dinner here.

PS: you drool when you sleep

-MAD.

I stick it to the fridge and then grabbed my car keys and went outside. Finally, I'll see him.

Right when I was just about to go in my Audi, someone shouted my name, "Meg!"

Ethan was running after me, in his boxers.

My brother looks like an idiot.

"What?" I asked him. He stopped in front of me and panted. Okay, he's letting me wait and I have to fucking see Matt.

"Have breakfast first," he told me.

"I have a granola bar," I showed him what I picked out earlier. He rolled his eyes, "That's unhealthy."

"Dude, it has fruits in it!"

"Hey, no need to be defensive!"

"Whatever, you're delaying me."

"Well, whatever. Go now," he ordered.

"Look who's bossy," I rolled my eyes. Ethan stuck his tongue out and I got in my car. Woah, what the hell? Did we just have that weird conversation about granola bars?

---

I got some McDonald takeouts while I approach the familiar hospital. I park the car next to a Honda Civic which is oddly familiar. It looks like Pristine's car. Maybe it is. She came to visit my Matt.

My Matt. I like the sound of that. These past few weeks, he's struggling. One time, when he was receiving Chemotherapy, one of the tubes in his belly malfunctioned and they had to take it out. I witnessed the whole thing and got a little bit traumatized. It hurts to see him suffering. I wish I could take his place but then I know he'd wish like I did if I were the one diagnosed with the disease.

I walk down the lobby. Normally, the nurses would smile and wave at me. Apparently I became close to the nurses because of my curiosity. I'll be a doctor someday--like my dad. But I'd specialize on cancer--preferably Leukemia and Osteosarcoma.

But today, the nurses looked glum. They didn't smile nor wave at me. What the hell is wrong?

I decided not to meddle with this stuff and proceeded to his room which is on the third floor of the building. I pressed 5 in the elevator and before it got closed, somebody went in and stopped it.

"Sorry," he said, but his voice is oddly familiar. Well, what the hell is it with these familiar things? What's happening?

Ugh, why is this complicated?

I looked at the man and I was surprised to see my own father staring at me, "Holy shit. Dad?!"

"Language, Asher," he points a finger at me, dead serious. I mumbled a sorry and then changed the topic, "What're you doing here?"

"My job. They kind of switched me with the doctor here. And here I am," he says.

"Oh. Good to see you, dad," I hugged him and we maintain in silence as the elevator is close to the third floor.

There's this eerie feeling I am feeling. Like something is really going to happen.

God, I hope nothing happened to him.

I'd die if he... No, I mustn't think about it. Positive thoughts, Megan. Positive.

Finally, the elevator opened. Dad and I walk out of the elevator and went on the same direction. Still, the nurses were still sporting that glum look. Like, what the fuck has gone into them to feel that way?

Nevertheless, I kept going with dad by my side. It's weird to see him again in this hospital. I remember when I was a kid, I would always be here. Maybe that's why I want to be a doctor.

"Where are you going, pumpkin? Off to Matt's?" Dad asked while were on the way. I just nodded.

Perhaps if the nurses aren't cheerful, I should put my best effort to be cheerful. In this way, I'll be bringing joy to my dearest fiancé.

"Well, I'll come with you," he said. We turned left which means that Matt's room is just near.

I saw that the door was open. Normally, it's closed.

Wait, what happened?

Okay, Meg. Stop freaking out. Nothing happened, okay? He's still lying there in that bed and he'll smile once he sees me.

Together with dad, I entered the room with nervousness. It's like my nervous system is going to collapse any time soon.

What I saw in the room made my heart stop. The nurses (who are still gloomy) are cleaning the sheets. One nurse is making the bed, the other one fixing the medicine on the table and one is arranging the oxygen tanks. There's another one also arranging the reviving tool. No one is in the bed.

Where is he?!

Panic immediately rushed through my veins. My eyes were immediately releasing tears. My mouth can't even mutter one word.

"Where--what--how--where--" was what I was repeating. The head nurse--the one arranging the gas tanks--went to me.

"Ma'am relax. Would you like to sit down?" She asked kindly. Come on, who acts like that in this situation? An idiot?

I just nodded. I didn't flip out. I was too stunned and confused to do so. My dad kept rubbing circles in my back as I was breathing heavily.

"Now... How do I put this in words," the nurse mumbled, that glum expression never leaving her face.

"Where is he? Where is my Matt?" I asked them. Finally, words are sputtering out of my mouth but my brain, oh my brain, can't fathom what's happening. It's like high school all over again.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Dalton. He's gone."

------

A/N:

I am utterly sorry for keeping you guys waiting. I was busy with things like filling up university forms, studying, project-making, catching up sleep and a bunch of other stuff.

I should be asleep this time but I wanted to update for you guys so here it is. And I'm sorry if it's crappy. I don't have my laptop.

So... Yeah. I'm sorry. Teehee :3

Oh and I played Hazel Grace in a play 2 weeks ago and it was amazing.

VOTE • FAN • COMMENT!

Love,

Pami <3