Chapter 02

Faolan burst into the kitchen, waving the book. "Celeste! The government blew up the bank!"

The brown-haired girl whipped around from her station in front of the furnace and gasped, "What?!"

He went up to her and showed her the order. "Well, kind of. They used explosives near it to kill some Descendants. At least, that's what Gema told me." Celeste sighed and gave the book back to her brother after reading the order.

"Faolan, she may not be telling the truth." She growled, but he could sense the fear making her words all wobbly.

"What are you so worried about?" Faolan asked in exasperation. He stood in front of the furnace so she couldn't reach inside and said, "You've been a worry-wither all week. What are you thinking about?"

"I'm worried about us!" She exclaimed. "All of these stories about Descendants and the methods they're using to find them and kill them are really making me afraid for us."

"I understand," Faolan said softly, "but we can't let it show."

Celeste nodded and brushed her face with one sleeve as if she wanted to cry. "I-I know. I just hope that we all turn out okay," she replied.

Quickly, she and Faolan embraced each other, and then pulled away, as if afraid that someone was watching through the window. "Me too, sis. I have to go take orders. See you in a few."

==+==

To Faolan's pleasure, the restaurant had seemed to get a little bit louder in the time that he had talked with Celeste. More people were milling around and talking merrily.

Although at the same time, Faolan noticed a figure in a booth near the corner of the restaurant, sitting there silently and making no move to converse with the people around. They just sat there, like they were waiting.

He went over there first, quill hovering over the pristine, white page for a new order. But the strange villager didn't look over.

"Hello? Do you want to submit an order?" Faolan asked. The figure looked over.

"No, thanks," it said, and he realized that the cloaked villager was a girl. "I'm not hungry."

Faolan paused in confusion. No one said that, especially when in an restaurant. "Are you sure? We have good rabbit stew."

"I'm sure." She said. "But you should keep those eyes of yours open."

"What?"

"I know you're not deaf, Faolan. You heard me."

He asked, "How do you know my name? Who are you?"

"That's not important. I can say it once more, keep your eyes open. They're coming. You know it, Celeste knows it. Every Descendant in this place knows it. But can you help it, fighting back? Of course not." She stood up, but the shadows cast by the hood prevented Faolan from seeing any facial features. "Don't fight. Run. Or you'll be dead in minutes."

The villager promptly left the restaurant, leaving Faolan standing there, staring dumbfoundedly at the door, even after it closed. Celeste emerged out of the kitchen and went to his side, putting one hand on his shoulder.

"Who was that?" She asked quietly. "Are they from the government?"

Faolan shook his head. "No. But..."

"But what? Faolan, tell me!"

"I think that she was trying to warn us." When he turned to his sister, her eyes widened in fear.

Then the wall exploded.