Chapter 05

"There, there, Faolan," Bridget said softly, and wrapped one arm around his shoulders. He continued to sob into his hands. The shock of everything was too much for him. All of the time he spend focusing on the good of the world, that not everyone was bad, that he and Celeste would live full, happy lives...

Wasted. Gone.

"It's all over now."

"No, it's not," he replied, voice cracking. "The government will be looking for me, and you too, Bridget. They killed Celeste. Now they're after me."

Bridget looked away. "Yes. But with me, you are safe."

Faolan sighed. "I never got to say it, but thanks, back there. Saving me and stuff? That was nice. Although I wish I could have collected Celeste's items after she faded."

"You're welcome. Do you want to keep moving?" She asked, glancing over her shoulder anxiously.

He nodded and stood up, brushing his face with his sleeve. "Good idea. Do you know anyplace we could go? I'm not good at setting up camp."

Bridget nodded and pointed deeper into the forest, near a huge lone mountain that seemed to scrape the sky. "There's someone there that can help us. He'll give us shelter."

"How do you know he likes Descendants?"

She rolled her eyes and said, "Trust me, he does."

==+==

When they finally arrived at the mountain, Faolan had to tip his head all the way back to see the top of it. While he gazed wonderingly at the clouds wisping in and out of the summit, Bridget approached a iron door barely visible in the stone face. She took out her wicked diamond sword and tapped the end of its handle on the door in a complicated series of knocks (that Faolan didn't notice, since he was too busy marveling at the mountain). There was a muffled crash inside and a guy with dirty blonde hair and all black clothes threw open the door.

"Hi, Bridget! What's up?" He said.

"Not much. I've found another Descendant. He's on the run, and we need to lie low here. Faolan, this... Faolan." She added when he didn't look over. He averted his gaze eventually and blinked at the guy.

"Who's that?" Faolan asked.

The stranger smiled. "Not much of a fighter, is he? Well, that's fine, we can get you two situated real quick." He held out a hand to Faolan. "The name's Kyle. And I suppose you're Faolan?"

"Um, yeah," Faolan replied slowly and shook Kyle's hand.

Kyle beckoned for them to come inside and walked into the small house etched into the mountainside. Faolan hesitated though, and glanced at Bridget. "Why is he so friendly to Descendants? I thought everyone hated us."

Bridget smiled. "Not everyone. Some people, like Kyle, like them. His best friend was a Descendant, and he was killed right in front of him, so he left his village. Whenever I find a Descendant, I bring them here because I know that he'll help us. He doesn't care if the entire government is after them. He'll help them, no matter what."

"You guys coming, or what?" Kyle shouted from inside.

"Yeah!" Bridget called back and the two started to walk inside.

But Faolan felt that something was off. Whenever I find a Descendant, I bring them here... What did that mean? Faolan asked. But he knew too little of this situation to ask many questions. With a pang, he wished that Celeste would here. She would interrogate Bridget and Kyle relentlessly until they knew the situation like a squid knew the ocean.

Faolan and Bridget entered Kyle's house. It seemed pretty basic; carved into the mountainside, with light gray stained glass for windows and a few wooden doors in the wall. There was a stone staircase and a wall filled with crafting tables and furnaces, one of which was smelting at the moment.

"What are the doors for?" Faolan asked.

"Well, the one near the stairs goes all the way down the bedrock layer, the one next to that goes down to areas near the surface, the third one intersects with a mineshaft I'm exploring, and the fourth one goes to mid-ground layer." Kyle explained proudly.

"So you're an miner."

He gave a small sigh. "Yes, I'm a miner," he said with a hint of sarcasm. "Bridget, will you show him to a room? And craft him a new bed, while you're at it. I'm going hunting."

Bridget motioned for him to follow and led him up the stairs.