Chapter 03

Someone was screaming. Was it Faolan? He couldn't tell. The blast was too loud. It wasn't at the wall next to them, but near the front door. Him and Celeste were still thrown backwards, though, onto the floor, from the force of it. Villagers scattered, yelling and screaming, but a few that were unfortunately close to the blast were lying on the floor--Faolan didn't want to think about why.

When the smoke cleared, a dozen villagers stepped in, dressed in white suits and carrying various weapons. At the front was a larger villager wearing a navy blue suit, with a shimmering diamond sword in hand--the General. He scanned the scene coolly, like he was looking at a cake stand instead of a bombed restaurant.

Faolan whispered, "Move!" He pushed Celeste behind an overturned table and squeezed next to her, holding her in his arms as the soldiers spread out. From what he could see, they grabbed villagers and asked them questions, but most were too frightened to answer properly. Finally, they seemed to find one sensible enough to answer their questions.

"Celeste and Faolan, show yourself!" The General yelled across the wreckage. The two pulled in tighter and hoped that they wouldn't be seen.

"Search the place. Find them, or we'll--" But he didn't finish. An organized volley of arrows sprang from the hole in the ceiling, and an unbelieveable horde of skeletons poured into the restaurant.

The soldiers screamed as the skeletons bore down on them, and a tall villager leapt down from the hole. Her blonde hair blew in the wind. She raised one arm broadly and another horde of skeletons spawned, immediately turned to attacking the soldiers.

The stranger looked around and saw the table. She fixed her emerald green eyes on it and said, "Go! I'll hold them off. Just go!" From the voice, Faolan recognized her as Aldis, a solitary villager who occasionally visited the restaurant. She's a Descendant? He thought as the two groups clashed.

Faloan grabbed Celeste's hand and pulled her out from behind the table. A couple of soldiers yelled when they saw them, but were quickly silenced by an arrow. Celeste ran to a hole in the wall, and started to cram herself into it. Faolan looked back only once to see another patrol of soldiers appear. Aldis spawned another group of skeletons, but she was slowing. The patrol leapt at the Descendant like wolves to a sheep. A pair of them grabbed her, and Faolan had to turn around.

"Run!" Was the last thing he heard from Aldis before a sickening scream. Faolan swallowed back bile and crawled through the hole where Celeste was waiting. She pulled him through and they sat, dazed, on the grass.

"What do we do?" She exclaimed, a little loudly for Faolan's taste.

"Shh, shh, don't talk. They could find us!" Faolan whispered. She nodded and looked around. "We had to run. That's what the villager told me. To run."

"Okay. On three... one, two--" Celeste didn't finish. She went silent when another group of soldiers appeared on the other side of the building.

Arrows flew like a flock of deadly birds. They impaled the ground and the trees and the buildings around the two villagers. They scurried out of the way, and Faolan hunched down behind part of the building.

Then he realized that there was a limp shape in the middle of the street, lying there without moving. A couple of arrows were impaled in her body. Her brown hair was covering her face, but Faolan knew instinctively who the figure was.

He screamed, "Celeste!"