Chapter 32

Faolan ran past Dark Star and the Ender Dragon's brawl, filled with furious roars and explosions. It was as if the huge, blue creeper was summoning them by himself. He tried his best to ignore them, which was hard, and kept his focus on the boy leaning against the wall.

He managed to get to him quicker than he thought. Faolan kneeled down to the kid and checked him out. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," he grumbled quietly, muffled by the bandana. His blue eyes were mostly filled with pain and indignation.

"Can you move?"

"Um, no."

Faolan grimaced. "Just sit here and revive your health, okay?"

The kid shifted a little. "Why? Why shouldn't I go out there?"

"Because I don't want to fight you." Faolan replied. He stood up and turned away, refusing to see his expression.

He started to sprint past the brawling monsters and back towards where Sapphire was leading the two groups--mob and Descendant--into battle with Bridget. But now that the dragon was occupied with Dark Star, the battle was becoming even. The monsters added to Sapphire's numbers but they were more easily disposable than the villagers. Slowly but surely, Faolan's friends were beginning to get pushed back.

Drawing his sword, he picked out Karen and Hunter from the fray and ran over to them. They were teaming up on another Descendant of Notch.

Once they finished, he called, "Hey!"

Karen looked over. "Yeah?"

"What am I supposed to do? I can't understand Sapphire's crazy language!"

He gestured to Sapphire, who was just beginning to yell, "Admoveri! Fac spatium sagittariis!"

"That's an ancient language. It's temporary, just for secrecy." She waved her hand at the battle. "Just get in there and fight!"

"Okay, geez!" He exclaimed and scanned the battle just as Karen jumped back in. Everyone really seemed okay. He shot a few charges of fire at some Descendants of Notch he could pick out.

Suddenly, there was a stabbing pain in his shoulder. Sky was standing behind him, a grim smile on her face.

"Thought you could stay safe?" She sneered.

Without giving him a chance to respond, she slammed her body into his shoulder, effectively knocking him over. He shot a bolt of fire at her as he fell but it was reflected back at him by her sword. It didn't hurt him, but when it cleared, Sky's sword was already coming down on him. He twisted just in time to prevent it from impaling his gut and slammed his feet into Sky's ankles.

She yelped and tripped, momentarily losing her grip on her sword. Faolan kicked it away, but faltered as he raised his sword. Sky was glaring at him with her unsettling violet eyes, daring him to strike a blow.

I can see you are weak, she said inside his head, making him jump a little. But are you strong enough to finish me off? His knuckles gripped the hilt of his sword harder, and she grinned. Ha. I thought so.

Suddenly, there was a brief rumble and a blinding flash erupted in front of him. A white-hot bolt of lightning shot down and struck the block next to Sky. She screamed as the sand caught fire but managed to roll away. Her health was obviously dangerously low as she stood up, eyeing her sword anxiously, which was in the midst of the flames.

JP appeared next to Faolan. "What are you waiting for?" He snapped.

"I..." He faltered. His grip slackened. He wasn't used to killing still. Soldiers of the General, sure, but not people who were Descendants also.

JP rolled his eyes and leapt at Sky, sword drawn. Before she had a chance to run, he brought the blade down on her, and she fell over. In a few moments, she disappeared.

Faolan stared until JP lightly smacked his shoulder. "Hey, wake up. The battle isn't over. We have a lot to do."