Chapter 33

Shaken out of his daze, Faolan replied, "You're right." The battle still raged on around them. Now he couldn't tell which Descendants were winning; those of Herobrine or those of Notch.

After a simple glance, JP and Faolan rushed towards the main skirmish, where the mobs and villagers fought relentlessly, crashing into each other like unstoppable waves. The two jumped into the battle to find themselves surrounded by fighting warriors, spinning and slashing and shooting and throwing. Somehow, though, they managed to stick together, very slowly taking out one villager at a time.

At some point, Faolan stumbled into Serefire, who was off of her pillar of sand and amidst the battle, doing her best to shoot at the Descendants of Notch. Her tiny red pupils inside the empty black sockets seemed to glow from under the diamond helm that protected her from the desert sun. She glanced over to him just as JP stepped up to his side.

"What are you bloody waiting for?" She exclaimed. "Get out there!" But her speech was interrupted by her raising her bow and shooting a flurry of arrows over Faolan's shoulder. She grimaced and aimed again, but a familiar blue blur appeared at the edge of his vision.

America, he remembered. Faolan waited until she stood still, the blue aura fading quickly, and lunged, sword in hand.

Fortunately, she hadn't seen him in time. He slammed into her and knocked her to the ground, barely managing to stay upright himself. There was an intimate rumble and Faolan jumped back, just in time for another bolt of lightning to strike the sand. America screamed--obviously more in anger than pain--and pulled herself up. She grimaced, glaring at Faolan with crystal blue eyes.

"You little..." She growled and jumped at him, moving at impossible speeds. He dodged and JP landed a blow on America's sleeve. She slashed her own blade at him but narrowly missed. She raised her arm for another blow, but strangely, found a small hand pulling it down.

They looked down to see the kid standing there, pulling down America's sword arm. There was an open gash under his eye that leaked blood.

"What the..." America exclaimed. "Knock it off, kid!"

His eyes narrowed in determination. "There has been enough fighting! This has to stop! We can't win!"

America grunted in irritation and swiftly pulled her arm away. In one fluid motion, she sliced her blade in a wide arc across the kid's chest, then slammed her booted foot into his shoulder. Faolan and JP both watched in horror as he went stumbling out of the crowd of soldiers and collapsed almost a dozen blocks away, unmoving.

Faolan felt a cold shiver run through him. What was he supposed to make of this? Was he dead? America's muttering of "Stupid kid" brought him back.

He quickly summoned a ball of flame and shot it at America's chest. She swatted it away furiously--still burning a bit of her arm, yet ignoring it. She curled her fingers into a fist and punched him straight on in the face. He yelped and stepped back, but JP was already there, bearing down on her with lightning and sword combined. Even though they were evenly matched, she was obviously starting to get worn out. JP's rage burned on, causing him to fight harder and land harsher blows. Finally, in a blast of lightning, she disappeared, the lightning bolt burning her items as they dropped. He looked at Faolan, who was watching in stunned silence.

JP lingered for a moment, but then a smile appeared on his face. "She's gone, now."

"I can see that," he replied.

"Now what?" JP asked.

Faolan looked around the battle. It was slowing, but it would be too long before it ended. Finally, he spotted a familiar blue glow and a blur of brown and gold.

His heart seemed to ache as he said, "We need to finish this."