Chapter 23

Faolan almost fell off the bench and gasped so hard that it hurt his throat. The voice had come from the other side of the room. But there was no one there, nothing to make a sound. It wasn't in his head like Sky.

"Who said that?" He asked, precariously.

"Me," the voice exclaimed, as if it was as obvious as the shoes on his feet. Faolan flinched.

"And who's 'me?'"

"Wait... you mean that you can't see me?" Like the shoes had disappeared, even though they were just there. Faolan looked around. Still nothing.

"Um... yes. I have no idea who's speaking to me." He said to the voice.

There was a pause. "Oh. I guess that makes sense."

Faolan edged a little closer to the end of the bench. "And why is that?"

"I must have freaked out so much that I became invisible!" The voice exclaimed.

Strangely, it sounded the teeniest bit familiar, the name on the tip of his tongue. He frowned.

"You still haven't answered my question. Who are you?" He asked impatiently.

"Oh yeah," it said, almost guiltily. "It's Amia."

He almost choked on spit and surprise. "A-Amia? But how? You died! Didn't you...?"

"Well... um... I actually didn't." She said, still completely invisible. "When Sky hit me into the shadows, I became so angry and so afraid that I turned completely invisible from all of the negativity. I could hear you conversating and how you thought I was dead, so I stayed in the shadows. I almost was. One more blow and I would have died.

"I managed to sneak in while they were checking you. I still couldn't find the positivity to regain more visibility. I waited until they were gone and you woke up to talk to you," she explained. "I was hoping you would. I was honestly sleeping myself."

Faolan blinked and rubbed his face anxiously. "Oh man, this is bad. This is really bad... I don't know how you're going to escape, or how I am, in that case, either. Bridget will surely find you out soon, or anyone, really. This isn't going to end well."

"I've actually been thinking about it," she said immediately. Her form flickered once, like the faintest torchlight in the distance. He saw her tired green eyes reflecting a little bit of hope before she dimmed out again. "When I was resting in this cell, I was thinking strategically and I think I may have devised a plan."

"Well, let me hear it."

Amia quietly began, "Okay, so the next time that one of Bridget's allies comes in to check on you, I can try to sneak out. I found my way throughout most of the place, so I'll be fine after that. You just stay inside the cell for now and be safe. Here," she took out a dozen porkchops and tossed them to him.

"Thanks," he said and slipped it into his inventory.

"Don't mention it. I also managed to get into contact with Onix."

"What? How?" Faolan exclaimed.

There was audible shifting, like Amia was uncomfortable. "Well... it's rather complicated. But you need to sleep in the bed. That's all that she told me that made sense."

Faolan cocked his head. How was sleeping going to help? Onix probably meant for him to get some rest, if they come to break him out so he can fight well enough.

"Um, ok. Did that chest outside the door have my stuff?"

"Yes. I grabbed your sword," and invisible Amia handed him his shimmering iron sword.

"Thank you very much." He told her, and he saw the very faintest outline of her appear, like sunlight filtering through the trees.

"You're welcome," she said.

"Now what do we do?"

"We wait, obviously."