Chapter 19

The next day, Faolan sat with JP, Ellie, and Bridget in the local restaurant, sipping on bowls of rabbit stew and talking quietly to each other. The noon sun filtered through the high windows, warming the already stuffy building further.

The doors creaked open again and Amia walked through. She looked around and went up to their table.

Faolan looked over. "Oh, hey Amia," he said.

"Hi guys. I just want to tell you I'm leaving again. I want to stay a few days at some of my other houses throughout the forests." She explained. "I'll be back in a week or two."

"You're--you're leaving?"

"It's not that bad. I wander around a lot. I got here just as you came. Usually I stay shorter. Thanks again, guys. Tell Gale I appreciate the hospitality, as always," Amia added to Sapphire, who gave a thumbs-up and ate another bite of the stew.

"Oh," Faolan said.

"We can escort you to the edge of the forest," Bridget offered. "I like the fresh air."

Amia gave a shy smile. "Um, ok."

The two stood up. "You sure you don't want me to leave you some coal for the stew?" Asked Faolan.

"No, I'll pay for it. It's fine," Sapphire replied.

"Okay. Ready to go?"

"Yep." Bridget said.

The three quickly left the village. They traveled into the forest, near the direction of a desert. Amia had her bow drawn, arrow nocked in case something jumped out and she needed it dead in a moment; but the reluctance on her face told otherwise.

They finally got to the edge of the forest, where the huge expanse of sand stretched out like a golden ocean. "When are we going to go back?" Faolan inquired, softly.

"Soon. I know a place we might be able to help set up camp for Amia. It's getting dark." Bridget responded. The sun was nearing the horizon again. How long did that take? Faolan wondered.

Bridget led them into the desert, behind a huge dune that reminded Faolan of Kyle's home mountain. She searched around silently until she found a gap in the sand that led into a cave lit with redstone torches.

"I used to stay here sometimes. Come on, it's safe," she said and stepped inside. Amia looked anxious, almost halfway invisible, but she followed, as did Faolan. The cave eventually led down deeper into the floor, where the redstone torches turned to normal coal ones and there were small decorations everywhere. A pillar of wood here holding up the ceiling, another there. Almost like a mineshaft. But not. Something was weird. Off. Amia could obviously sense it. Her visibility was sputtering like an old torch running out of fuel.

Suddenly, the roof curved up into a huge cavern. A ring of obsidian stood in the middle, casting a magenta hue on the blocks around it. Faolan stared for a few moments at the colors, but then realized what that was.

"Is that a portal?" He exclaimed.

"Yes, it is."

"What's it doing here?"

"It goes to Herobrine's citadel." Replied Bridget.

"What's it doing here? Bridget, what's going on?" Amia asked.

She crossed her arms. "Well, I obviously wouldn't expect you to know."

The red-haired girl started to shake next to Faolan. "Bridget...?"

Suddenly, the shadows at the edge of the room seemed more menacing. Faolan stepped back a little. There was a glint in Bridget's sharp hazel eyes that made him uneasy. Glancing over, he saw that Amia was flickering uncontrollably from all of the emotions inside her. The knuckles grasping her bow were tinted white. Her green eyes were confused.

Again, Faolan asked, "What's going on, Bridget?" But he couldn't keep the fear out of his voice.